flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > Windows 10

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

Windows 10
If this article is even slightly accurate then there is nothing in Windows 10 that interests me.

http://phys.org/news/2015-01-windows-winner-microsoft.html

The major things that I want is support for when things go wrong and bug-free drivers for newer devices and interfaces. If WinXP drivers had support for USB3 and HDMI etc. then I wouldn't have any need for an upgrade.

I'm almost certain Win10 will look awesome (maybe) but I don't care about that. I want it to perform smoothly and consistently and not have those stupid annoying bugs that never seem to get fixed.

Win7 explorer is a definite downgrade from the WinXP version. With the automatic scrolling down of the folders when opened thus hiding them (who thought that was a good idea?), unmoveable menu, selections changing when the display is resorted and a few other silly bugs. So I have little faith that Windows 10 will actually be an improvement for such basic tasks like this. I suspect it to be more likely that users can upload all their stuff to "the cloud" and chat with friends on facebook easily and all the core stuff like actually doing work will be slowly made worse and left to become vestiges of what they used to be.

And the Win7 scheme of trying to make local pages feel like web pages. Have you seen the "Network and Sharing Center"? It is a terrible interface with no idea of where one is in the hierarchy, and almost no visual indication of things that are clickable and things that aren't. If Win10 can't, or doesn't, address this kind of nonsense then I can't see me "loving it" in any way.

Unfortunately I don't really have a choice though. I will have to "upgrade" in order to use new hardware and to support our customers. I am still using WinXPSP2 (the best ever OS produced by MS) on my 2003 laptop, but it will eventually die, sadly. Why can't Linux/FreeBSD/Something save us from this tyranny? If only hardware manufacturers weren't so in love with Windows (and profits also I guess) then there might be a fighting chance for other alternatives to shine.

Have you used Windows 10? Did you find it awesome or terrible? Or maybe nothing much to get excited about? Is it even worth the price of the "free" upgrade? Or is the price too high?
Post 23 Jan 2015, 14:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Foxxy

Personally, when I upgraded from XP to 7, I originally hated it. However, now that I have a 7 computer, I love it with all my heart, mind, and possibly soul. Whenever I switch back to XP in certain situations, I find it... lacking, compared to XP. But this is just my opinion.

On the topic of Win7 explorer, I have never had any of these issues you are currently talking about. If anything, I think it was a definite upgrade if not for the other features, but for the ability to create two (and later, 4 in Win 10) perfectly sized windows side by side.
Post 23 Jan 2015, 15:25
TmX

Re: Windows 10

revolution wrote:
Why can't Linux/FreeBSD/Something save us from this tyranny?

There are folks who already moved to Linux/FreeBSD land and live happily there without resorting to Windows at all
(or mostly, probably except for playing games).

IMO before ditching Windows completely, one should ask himself whether he needs to run specific
softwares/hardwares which are supported well only by Windows.

revolution wrote:

Have you used Windows 10?

Not yet. But if installing Windows 10 is the only way to get the latest updates then I guess I don't have any choice.
It's a free upgrade after all, albeit for short period time.
Post 23 Jan 2015, 15:35
revolution

Re: Windows 10

TmX wrote:
IMO before ditching Windows completely, one should ask himself whether he needs to run specific softwares/hardwares which are supported well only by Windows.

This is a major problem actually, software that only runs on Windows and fails under WINE and other emulators. Our customers use such software and that means we have to use them also. Plus there is the hardware issue I mentioned above with new devices having no documentation and the makers only providing Win8 (or whatever is the latest and trendiest version) drivers.

Windows traditionally has provided the user with lots of power and options. But lately this has been changing with more and more things being locked down and no provision for changes being offered. One prime example that comes to mind just now is Win7 not allowing MAC address changes (WTF MS? How is that a good thing? That is so frustrating when working with networking equipment). They take the power away from the user and turn it over to some 3rd party because why? So has Win10 reversed that decision or will it be even more locked down and unalterable with trust given to unknown 3rd parties where the user has no say?

I also notice the new spying options for capturing all your keystrokes and sending them to MS with the excuse given "to improve your search experience". Pfft, yeah, sure. A hackers wet dream is to capture all your keystrokes and that never works out well for anyone except the hackers.
Post 23 Jan 2015, 15:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tyler

revolution, if Windows-only software is your main reason, you could use a virtual machine in seamless mode. This would let you pick the Linux GUI of your choice, and use the guest windows inside the host GUI it. (Google seamless mode and you'll see what I mean.) This would let you use win7/8/10 for their compatibility with newer programs and still use the (more) sane GUI of Linux. This would be the same thing as VMware Fusion, if you're familiar with that.

If you wanted to use XP, but on modern hardware, you could run it in a VM with a linux host. Run XP in the VM (which presents VGA/other old stuff to the guest OS) and let Linux handle the HDMI/newer stuff. Run it in full screen and you'll never know the difference.
Post 23 Jan 2015, 17:34
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699

revolution wrote:

Have you used Windows 10?

tested but stop using it because of key strokes relaying to ms better customer experience program.

more and more devices are getting connected with their skydrive cloud goal, there are pros and cons, depend where you view them,

i read free upgrade in 1st year after released for win7, win8 and 8.1 users, which is good =)

no info yet on version of windows 10, maybe standard and pro like in win 8? idk.

windows holographic is something cool, i guess, more effective method to transmit knowledge, but someone will hack it and live inside your house soon =)

i take it with open mind, let see how it works with crowds maybe this year =)
Post 24 Jan 2015, 05:41
sinsi

The preview says flat-out that lots of info will be sent to MS to help with features etc. even without a MS account logon. That's what "testing" means.

If it was included in the release version, that's a different thing (without an opt-out option).

My impression so far? meh, Windows 7.2
I will give it speed, it's faster on my hardware than 7 or 8.
Post 24 Jan 2015, 06:21
farrier

I have had a Core 2 Duo notebook running Vista Premium, which has worked well for years. It started running slowly and unpredictably. I installed a new Toshiba 1TB with 8GB cache, and reinstalled and upgraded Vista from the recovery partition. Worked better, but not significantly better. With the same hardware, I zeroed the new harddrive and installed Win 10 Technical Preview, and it was a completely new machine, working better than it ever has.

At work, we had occasion to buy a new laptop, the one purchased came with Windows 8.1 . I consider 8.1 unusable, and bought another harddrive and installed 10. I had trouble with a few drivers but got upgraded thru Microsoft and Intel.

I have settled on Win 10 as my platform of choice, and will buy an upgrade for the Vista notebook if I have to. I know they're watching, but I generally behave myself.

... the right of the people peaceably to assemble, ...
The code is dark, and full of errors!
Post 24 Jan 2015, 23:58
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
here something informational

Sneak Peek: Experience Windows 10 for PCs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534

will try download the latest january windows 10 insider iso, but i think i want to uninstall cortana...

wondering what cortana would suggest if i ask, how to remove cortana from windows 10?
Post 25 Jan 2015, 12:38
HaHaAnonymous

Stupid post removed.

Last edited by HaHaAnonymous on 28 Feb 2015, 18:00; edited 1 time in total
Post 29 Jan 2015, 17:18
Fixit

Me too, I use puppy linux and it blows the doors off Windows. Smile
Post 31 Jan 2015, 05:01
sleepsleep

this is one quite interesting news,

Windows 10 for Raspberry Pi 2
http://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/raspberrypi2support

Quote:

We’re excited to announce that we are expanding our Windows Developer Program for IoT by delivering a version of Windows 10 that supports Raspberry Pi 2. This release of Windows 10 will be free for the Maker community through the Windows Developer Program for IoT.

Post 03 Feb 2015, 14:53
HaHaAnonymous

Stupid post removed.

Last edited by HaHaAnonymous on 28 Feb 2015, 17:59; edited 1 time in total
Post 03 Feb 2015, 15:01
revolution

I'm in two minds about Win10 for the RPi. On one hand I think it is a smart move from MS to make it free as they probably had no chance of ever selling it in significant numbers. But on the other hand the RPi is meant for tinkerers and Windows has never exposed its internals for people to alter as they please so I can't see how it will be particularly exciting for that aspect.

At the very least it will provide a more consistent platform and experience than the current myriad of options available with Linux.
Post 04 Feb 2015, 14:16
TmX

revolution wrote:

At the very least it will provide a more consistent platform and experience than the current myriad of options available with Linux.

Indeed.
Having too many options can be pretty confusing.
Post 05 Feb 2015, 01:58
tom tobias

revolution wrote:
I am still using WinXPSP2

sp3 is available at no cost as download at M$, does not require registration, and offers a noticeable improvement.

revolution wrote:
Why can't Linux/FreeBSD/Something save us from this tyranny?

Have you tried Mint/Cinnamon? I am using it every day, and find that it works almost identically to XP, intuitive, simple, clean, 64 bit, uncluttered, easily upgraded daily or weekly, as desired by the user. No statistics kept or sent to mintland. I like it.

Have you tried Kolibrios? I think it is very special. Last time I tried, couple years ago, it still had some wrinkles. I think it has made a lot of progress, since then, and should be re-examined.

I still remember my first version of Linux, in Autumn '94, Patrick Volkerding's Slackware I believe, version 1.2 or so, kernel 1.0. Awful.

Kolibrios 2015 is certainly better than that, though, I don't know how it would compare with contemporary Linux versions--probably 15 years behind the times, for certain features, and relatively up to date for others.

And, what about Menuet? How is it coming along? I haven't tried it for many years.

Any OS that is built using FASM, surely must be better than the alternatives.
Post 05 Feb 2015, 19:12
revolution

My most pressing requirements are to run the existing Windows software that I and my customers use and have drivers for new hardware.

I don't care about which compiler it used to build it because I don't expect to be building it myself. I don't have time to learn the internals of the OS and tinker. I would be happy to pay for the OS to support it so that I have time to do my work, and time to enjoy my life away from the computer.

Win10 being free is more of a worry for me than a paid "upgrade". Do MS want to treat me as a dump for advertising? I still can't see how they could make money otherwise.

I don't care about updating it every five minutes with bug fixes. Indeed quite the opposite, I want a stable and well tested OS that doesn't need to change at the drop of a hat. I don't care about visual changes to make it more pretty. I don't want to upload all my data to someone else's computer (aka "the cloud").

tom tobias wrote:
Any OS that is built using FASM, surely must be better than the alternatives.

That is a very strange thing to say. Wouldn't it be more prudent to look at the actual OS produced rather than which tool was used to make it?
Post 06 Feb 2015, 01:01
Picnic

sleepsleep wrote:
this is one quite interesting news,

Windows 10 for Raspberry Pi 2
http://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/raspberrypi2support

Quote:

We’re excited to announce that we are expanding our Windows Developer Program for IoT by delivering a version of Windows 10 that supports Raspberry Pi 2. This release of Windows 10 will be free for the Maker community through the Windows Developer Program for IoT.

Sounds good news. I intended to get the first Raspberry Pi, but when i worked with it seemed very slow and i lost my interest.
Post 06 Feb 2015, 15:38
TmX

Picnic wrote:

Sounds good news. I intended to get the first Raspberry Pi, but when i worked with it seemed very slow and i lost my interest.

Are you using the older one?
I have that, and it runs Linux without GUI stuff. Not that slow, I guess.

Smile
Post 07 Feb 2015, 16:12
Picnic

^^Yes, the first raspberry pi. Well, the total cost (with external power supply, keyboard, mouse, cables, case) was 100€. This, combined with the performance issue made me think again.
Post 11 Feb 2015, 21:07

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: