flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Heap > Windows 10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Furs

sleepsleep wrote:
hopefully i could convert everything i use into linux or etc os, before year 2020, Laughing
People would rather fight with Windows to protect their files and privacy, than to fight with Linux to "make it work" it seems, despite the latter being somewhat permanent (once you learn how to use it, it's way shorter when you encounter another problem, etc).

I'll never touch Windows again without a VM, unless it's a throwaway device with no access to my private stuff (or no internet connection whatsoever).
Post 05 Oct 2018, 15:06
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
Microsoft suspends Windows 10 update, citing data loss reports
https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/06/microsoft-suspends-windows-10-update-citing-data-loss-reports/

Quote:

A few days after making the latest version of Windows 10 available to users, Microsoft has suspended the update, citing multiple reports of user data loss.
Post 07 Oct 2018, 00:19
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

MS were told three months ago that data deletion was happening. Seems as though they just didn't care. They were too lazy to actually read the feedback and relied upon unpaid user's votes instead.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3311977/windows/microsoft-pulls-windows-10-october-2018-update-file-deletion.html
Quote:
“There are tons of reports in Feedback Hub about data loss on upgrade, not painting a particularly nice picture,” Thurrott.com contributor Rafael Rivera noted on Twitter, posting screenshots from “as early as 3 months ago.” Windows Insiders testing preview builds of upcoming versions of Windows 10 use the Feedback Hub to log bugs and other issues they encounter. Rivera notes that while he found lot of reports about the issue, they didn’t receive many upvotes, and thus “got buried in the noise”—until now.
Post 07 Oct 2018, 05:39
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
they were told lots of thing that actually cause so much anger on users, but, basically, most of the support service agents ignore everything and never forward issues to upper management,

such cultural exists in every industries support centre, company only care what boss desires, and not what users desire, not what clients desire,
Post 07 Oct 2018, 07:01
revolution

Some MS executive somewhere wrote:
Users? Who cares about users? Just gives us the monies.
Okay, not really, I made up that quote. But somehow it feels about right.
Post 07 Oct 2018, 07:47
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

i am running ltsb right now, because non-windows os seems not so working fine on laptop,

and any system came without SSD shouldn't run windows 10, shouldn't, i mean it, period,

anything after 1709 without SSD equal to terrible performance, terrible, like shit,

a stable os is requirement for a greater humanity, stable services, stable for everybody, i guess they forget how powerful and how critical their influences in every lives on earth,

they should think in bigger picture, grand picture,
Post 07 Oct 2018, 10:47
revolution

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-says-they-can-recover-files-deleted-by-windows-10-october-2018-update/
Quote:
... the head of the Windows Insider program, Dona Sarkar, announced that Microsoft tech support has the tools to recover the missing files. She further suggested that those users who were missing the files call Microsoft support at +1-800-MICROSOFT for assistance.
Yay.

Oh wait, not so fast:
Quote:
Unfortunately, it appears that the Microsoft tech support agents do not know about these tools.

According to numerous people who called the support number, the support agents told them that the bug was still under investigation, they were not aware of any tools, and that they would have to wait until the investigation in the bug was finished.
How embarrassing, Embarassed
Post 07 Oct 2018, 18:19
sleepsleep

most likely ms windows 10 will wipe off your external hard disk if they are connected during the upgrade process to 1809, :scary: shit,
Post 08 Oct 2018, 07:08
revolution

sleepsleep wrote:
most likely ms windows 10 will wipe off your external hard disk if they are connected during the upgrade process to 1809, :scary: shit,
Maybe you are right. Certainly MS can't be trusted not to do it.

So not only is Win10 monitoring and spying on everyone, it is also can't be relied upon to keep the user's data safe. So what are the good points of Win10 supposed to be? I am guessing it is all good for MS with the data collection, and not good for the users because no one at MS seems to care about the users anyway.
Post 08 Oct 2018, 09:30
TmX

revolution wrote:
MS were told three months ago that data deletion was happening. Seems as though they just didn't care. They were too lazy to actually read the feedback and relied upon unpaid user's votes instead.

Well, fortunately I miss this update (maybe MS already removed it).
On the other side, what happen to those who lost hundred GBs of data and for some reasons it cannot be recovered 100%?

Confused
Post 08 Oct 2018, 09:53
revolution

TmX wrote:
On the other side, what happen to those who lost hundred GBs of data and for some reasons it cannot be recovered 100%?
The first thing they probably did was go to OneDrive to recover their data from there. But they were disappointed to discover nothing in OneDrive either. Then they went to their manual/offsite backups and recovered everything back to normal. If they had no other backups aside from trusting OneDrive then they will be crying and closing down their business due to inability to work.

Another option is to ask the NSA/GCHQ for a copy from their spy archives.
Post 08 Oct 2018, 10:12
Furs

revolution wrote:
TmX wrote:
The first thing they probably did was go to OneDrive to recover their data from there. But they were disappointed to discover nothing in OneDrive either. Then they went to their manual/offsite backups and recovered everything back to normal. If they had no other backups aside from trusting OneDrive then they will be crying and closing down their business due to inability to work.

Or just get the data from the Linux host. It's not a good idea to keep your important data in the VM, you know... Wink
Post 08 Oct 2018, 15:17
sleepsleep

TmX wrote:
Well, fortunately I miss this update (maybe MS already removed it).

Confused

luckily you miss it, Laughing

i don't trust those windows update anymore, basically, we bought laptop and desktop in order to be utilized by ms instead of us, the owner who fork out the monies and electricity, Laughing

and the last thing i want to know is, i don't know what the hell shits is using my computer when i want to use it to run whatever i want to run,

how is this please wait and don't turn off your computer sounds like when you have another meeting in 1 hour and you need to drive there now, i mean, right now, Laughing

why not just put another button there, hibernate and instead of forcing us to wait, it doesn't makes sense in any sane way,

who is the boss? windows 10 or me?
Post 08 Oct 2018, 15:20
sleepsleep

Furs wrote:
revolution wrote:
TmX wrote:

Or just get the data from the Linux host. It's not a good idea to keep your important data in the VM, you know... Wink

you got to be careful, extra careful, ms has the tendencies to delete big file, like those vdi, vhd, because it thought we don't need them, Laughing
Post 08 Oct 2018, 15:23
sleepsleep

one last shit ms could do it re-partition hard disk partition, Laughing when it thought those empty spaces are damn empty spaces, they aren't, veracrypt is using those empty spaces, Laughing
Post 08 Oct 2018, 15:24
revolution

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/9/17957506/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update-data-deletion-fix

Microsoft begins re-releasing Windows 10 October update after fixing file deletion bug
Quote:
It appears the bug that caused file deletion was related to Windows 10 users who had enabled Known Folder Redirection to redirect folders like desktop, documents, pictures, and screenshots from the default location. Microsoft introduced code in its latest update to delete the empty and duplicate known folders, but it appears they weren’t always empty.
MS think it is okay to meddle with the folder layout the user is using. They seem to think they know better what the user wants. If the user wants empty folders then that is their choice. You don't go in there and start deleting stuff.

This is a dangerous position to be in if you are the user. And worse, MS can't seem to figure out the simple difference between empty and not empty, so how can we trust them with more complex things like, oh say, not leaking all those stolen secrets on their servers to the whole world?
Post 10 Oct 2018, 09:36
sleepsleep

i would say, the biggest issue is, they could get away with such shits after deleting people files, it is not correct from whatever viewpoint one prefer to see,

deleting other people files is serious issue, and why in the first place you want to introduce code that delete things without informing users? and getting permission from users?

i should probably believe, after seeing such incompetent, there is probably an easier way to crack and hack a bitlocker volume,

and why an upgrade want to move people files? there is no logic in such move except you want to hash everybody files without them realize and send whatever files in question, files that you want to steal to your server without them knowing,

this windows 10 shit is getting bigger every upgrade,

i would believe there is more serious shit in this 1809,
Post 10 Oct 2018, 10:33
sleepsleep

i guess you guys haven't heard the news,

windows update capable to force push updates that flash your bios,

it did one yesterday in front of me, customer laptop asus ROG, and damn it ms,

it got us scare for that f. 10 minutes, the laptop just run bios update, then hang there like shit,

there is no notification whether the process settled or it just f. hang, and eventually we turn off the laptop, long press power button, restart,

then laptop shows asus logo for quite some long time, damn you ms, damn you,

why the shit you want to upgrade the bios, what if you just f. brick the bios and the laptop,

ms is pushing this KB4462917 today
https://support.microsoft.com/en-my/help/4462917/windows-10-update-kb4462917
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4462917

1.3GB in size, what the hell, damn it,
Post 10 Oct 2018, 10:49
revolution

sleepsleep wrote:

I hadn't heard.
sleepsleep wrote:
ms is pushing this KB4462917 today
https://support.microsoft.com/en-my/help/4462917/windows-10-update-kb4462917
Even a simple information page from MS can't be used without subjecting myself to spying and RCE problems.
Javascript is disabled

Please enable javascript and refresh the page
And they tell me to trust them:
To obtain updates from this website, scripting must be enabled.

To use this site to find and download updates, you need to change your security settings to allow ActiveX controls and active scripting. To get updates but allow your security settings to continue blocking potentially harmful ActiveX controls and scripting from other sites, make this site a trusted website:

In Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
On the Security tab, click the Trusted Sites icon.
Click Sites and then add these website addresses one at a time to the list: You can only add one address at a time and you must click Add after each one:
http://*.update.microsoft.com
https://*.update.microsoft.com
http://download.windowsupdate.com
Note: You might have to uncheck the Require server verification (https:) for all sites in the zone option to enter all the addresses.
Haha, nope.
Post 10 Oct 2018, 10:56
sleepsleep

revolution wrote:
sleepsleep wrote:

I hadn't heard.

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Bios-Update-pushed-through-Windows-Update/td-p/5116085

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/7zoekl/hp_bios_update_from_windows_update/

and i curse ms for doing these kinda dangerous shit,
Post 10 Oct 2018, 11:02

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: