flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Heap > Windows 10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Shahada

revolution wrote:
Right now I don't care if it is the most amazingly innovative, efficient and beautiful OS that could ever be imagined, because the spying and logging make it untenable. I'd much rather pay for an OS and not have it track, log and try to monetise everything I do.

I don't have such privacy concerns, and I don't care what MS does with the information it gathers, but see https://www.hackread.com/windows-10-is-spying-on-you/.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

None saw it;
Neither did Aminadab appear.

Ya Allah Ya Allah Ya Allah

Last edited by Shahada on 22 Aug 2015, 06:23; edited 1 time in total
Post 22 Aug 2015, 05:53
Shahada

deleted

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

None saw it;
Neither did Aminadab appear.

Ya Allah Ya Allah Ya Allah
Post 22 Aug 2015, 06:22
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

I am pleased that my XP machine does not update itself. I have now turned off updates for my Win7 laptop.

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/28/microsoft-intensifies-data-collection-on-windows-7-and-8-systems/

Breach of trust: perhaps the most damaging of all relationship problems. Without the basis of trust there is very little left to work with.
Post 03 Sep 2015, 03:53
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
hi revolution,
saw that news, feel like this is a future part of microsoft teams willing to gamble with,

perhaps, they need more inputs for cortana to learns how to be more abusive and police to human,

btw, how bout your linux/mac exploration?
Post 03 Sep 2015, 17:38
revolution

sleepsleep wrote:
hi revolution,
saw that news, feel like this is a future part of microsoft teams willing to gamble with,

perhaps, they need more inputs for cortana to learns how to be more abusive and police to human,
I read that to play Solitaire without ads then you have to pay for it. And the DVD player must be purchased. So for people upgrading from Win7 or Win8 those two things that were previously included will now be removed and you have to buy replacements. And I expect as more people use Win10 more things will come to light about what has been removed and require people to pay just to get back to where they were.

There is a term used in the US for this called "nickel and diming". Where all the little $5 and $10 (or whatever $) will add up to more than a single one-time purchase.
sleepsleep wrote:
btw, how bout your linux/mac exploration?
I have been unable to convince the company to purchase anything not Windows, because of concerns about compatibility with everything else. I might see about a cheaper option as a personal purchase. Or perhaps if I hold off buying anything, more details will come to light and people may start to care and actually move to alternatives.
Post 10 Sep 2015, 04:06
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
typedef

Yeah. I think Win7 might be that last Windows OS I'll use. I think I would go with Apple's Mac OS because it's more stable than a "free" OS.
Post 10 Sep 2015, 04:29
Enko

Recently I have installed FreeBSD on and old desktop pc. I only had issues with the nvidia driver for the mx440, which nvidia stoped suporting even for windows, but on linux you still can make the 98.xxx revision of the binaries work. While on FreeBSD I wasn´t able too.

I really liked how you enable services on BSD using the rc.conf file. Every service is setup there, so if you wan´t apache and mysqld to run, you add:
apache_enabled = "yes"
mysqld_enabled = "yes"
(after installing or compaling the programs)

You can install programs either from binaries packages similar to debian apt-get but you use the apk install

Though I notices popularity of BSD has gone a little down compared to Linux. Probably because major companies started to support Linux with drivers: ati, nvidia, intel etc.. while of BSD it's not that fast.

On Windows 10... funny thing:
The only thing that makes EDGE run faster is because its preloaded into ram on os boot. So after a fresh restart, you doubleclick chrome/firefox and Edge... and Edge opens straight away while chrome/firefox has to be loaded to ram first.
Cheating? yeah....

Just to make sure it was that way, I closed Edge and opened 10 youtube videos on chrome. After closing it and reopening Edge, it took some time to load.
Well, at least Microsoft is polite enough to free the ram used by Edge.

If you are going to use edge as your browser thats wouldn't be bad, but who does that?
Microsoft xD
Post 10 Sep 2015, 13:50
revolution

This is not the best laptop around in terms of hardware specs but the software advantage may be worth it.

Taurinus X200: Now the most 'Free Software' laptop on the planet

And presumably more options like this will become available as time progresses.
Post 01 Oct 2015, 01:01
typedef

Looks like an IBM/Lenovo laptop. Those laptops are extremely durable as hell.
Post 01 Oct 2015, 01:08
revolution

It states in the article it is a Lenovo X200 with the firmware/BIOS replaced and some version of Linux installed on the HDD.
Post 01 Oct 2015, 01:18
revolution

I am very attracted by the screen resolution: 3840 x 2160 at 15.6"

https://puri.sm/librem-15/

Heavy at 2kg though, which I guess comes with the size. And the purchasing option is disappointing with a crowd funding site interface. Yuck. But the other stuff looks interesting like the physical kill switch for the camera and mic and another for the WiFi and Bluetooth.

However I couldn't determine if the battery was replaceable and/or uses a custom cell size. If it has standard 18650 cells that would be good, otherwise battery replacements could be a big problem in a few years time.
Post 26 Feb 2016, 11:10
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
love that screen resolution too!

here another latest reason to really start using other os.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/223634-windows-10-now-shows-ads-on-lock-screen-heres-how-to-kill-them
Quote:

Microsoft has begun showing advertisements on the Windows 10 lock screen. The company telegraphed this move nearly a year ago, but has avoided actually pushing content until now.

revolution wrote:
physical kill switch for the camera and mic

i stick them usually, better kill switch. Wink
Post 27 Feb 2016, 02:12
revolution

sleepsleep wrote:
Quote:
Microsoft has begun showing advertisements on the Windows 10 lock screen. The company telegraphed this move nearly a year ago, but has avoided actually pushing content until now.
I am not surprised by this development. It is clear that this sort of thing will continue. The price of the free OS is actually very high. This has been a concern I have with Linux and how much it will really cost me to maintain. And now W10 is going to be riddled with time wasting ads and forced updates/reboot cycles etc. so the cost becomes very high also.

Note: That cost is not just money - but time and resource usage also. If any OS requires me to download and watch ads then they should pay me for the cost of bandwidth, loss of CPU cycles, and loss of my time. At least Linux is honest about the requirements and never misleads, everyone knows it will take a lot of their time to solve problems and generally keep it running. Fortunately Linux doesn't (yet) require people to watch unwanted ads.
Post 27 Feb 2016, 03:16
JohnFound

revolution wrote:
everyone knows it will take a lot of their time to solve problems and generally keep it running.

Hm, this claim is very questionable. On my home computers I switched to Linux several years ago but still use Windows on my work computers. So, my impression is that Windows need much more efforts in order to keep it running. Especially on computers used for development.
In fact I fully reinstalled Windows several times because it got broken. (and it costs me a week every time)
In the same time Linux never breaks on my home computers. The last big fail of Lunux computers I experienced was when Canonical (another big corporation) forced its users to install Unity. After this trick, I started to use only distributions not maintained by corporations and everything goes fine.

Post 27 Feb 2016, 06:27
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
Tyler

I second John on this one. I've ran Debian (testing) for years without it breaking. I only reinstalled recently because they switched to systemd (a different boot system), but I didn't really have to do that.

Does anyone even know how to install a library on Windows? I never bothered to find out after I realized I had the alternative of "'sudo apt-get install library' and done."

I think your philosophy would align quite well with Debian on stability, revolution. You should try their distro. Granted, their Free Software dogma can get old (mostly when their dogma requires you to sideload your proprietary firmware during an install). To avoid that inconvenience, use one of these isos: http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/. (Or get one of those Thinkpads that don't need any proprietary firmware.)
Post 27 Feb 2016, 06:51
revolution

I would reason that one's hardware, or one's drivers, is/are poorly assembled if the entire OS keeps needing re-installation. My Windows experience is quite different and I've never ever had to re-install it for any reason. It just keeps running. With good hardware and stable drivers things shouldn't need redoing. I would hope that Linux is the same experience for people with good hardware and drivers (but I suspect the drivers are more problematic from what have seen).

I've watched on this board as many people recommend this Linux or that Linux. Which is fine and I appreciate the advice. But the advice itself keeps changing. One time it is Linux A, and then some time later it is Linux B or C. And later Linux D. There appears to be no firm direction or control (which is, of course, the entire point of Linux right?) and when one distro goes bad people scramble to find another.
Post 27 Feb 2016, 07:06
revolution

I'm not searching for "completely free" BTW. That has never been my purpose. I would have stayed in Windows if they hadn't decided to go free and spy on everything. The Purism laptop I posted about above is not an all-free system. I already know this. I just want stable hardware with stable drivers and a problem-free experience.
Post 27 Feb 2016, 07:09
sleepsleep

revolution wrote:
I've watched on this board as many people recommend this Linux or that Linux. Which is fine and I appreciate the advice. But the advice itself keeps changing. One time it is Linux A, and then some time later it is Linux B or C. And later Linux D. There appears to be no firm direction or control (which is, of course, the entire point of Linux right?)

human change, requirement change, perception change,
is like how you feel so lucky now coz you didn't marry your ex girlfriend.

i still stick with my last recomendation, porteus linux.
http://www.porteus.org

the whole os, your programs, files, etc, hidden . folders in /root, inside one usb, or a partition, depend on how you want it to be.

power your computer, everything loaded inside memory, take away the usb, start using.

i like small and tiny stuff, no bloat,

the best one would be the one written by revolution, until then, try porteus. =)
Post 27 Feb 2016, 07:48
rugxulo

revolution wrote:
I just want stable hardware with stable drivers and a problem-free experience.
The release date of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is set for April 21, 2016 (LTS = Long Term Support)

I know you're not that naive, you're savvier than I am, so I don't pretend that this is really a solution for you.
Post 02 Mar 2016, 03:34
revolution

Ubuntu is the OS (at least I think it is), but the drivers will still be needed to match the hardware. So if I am not mistaken, it still requires good reliable hardware and well tested drivers to allow the OS to run without issues.

Bad hardware ---> system crash
Bad drivers ---> system crash
Bad OS ---> system crash

All three good ---> system stable

I think many times a lot of people blame the wrong component, usually I find people blame the OS for all the system problems. But often it is not the OS, instead it is a bad driver or bad hardware. And, of course, a normal user has almost no way to check which one is the actual problem, and the OS is the most visible of the three so it gets the blame.
Post 02 Mar 2016, 09:19

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: