flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Heap > sleepsleep's vitally important things

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 158, 159, 160  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
http://johnsalvatier.org/blog/2017/reality-has-a-surprising-amount-of-detail
Quote:

Before you’ve noticed important details they are, of course, basically invisible. It’s hard to put your attention on them because you don’t even know what you’re looking for. But after you see them they quickly become so integrated into your intuitive models of the world that they become essentially transparent. Do you remember the insights that were crucial in learning to ride a bike or drive? How about the details and insights you have that led you to be good at the things you’re good at?

This means it’s really easy to get stuck. Stuck in your current way of seeing and thinking about things. Frames are made out of the details that seem important to you. The important details you haven’t noticed are invisible to you, and the details you have noticed seem completely obvious and you see right through them. This all makes makes it difficult to imagine how you could be missing something important.

If you’re trying to do impossible things, this effect should chill you to your bones. It means you could be intellectually stuck right at this very moment, with the evidence right in front of your face and you just can’t see it.

Quote:

The direction for improvement is clear: seek detail you would not normally notice about the world.

When you talk to someone who is smart but just seems so wrong, figure out what details seem important to them and why. In your work, notice how that meeting actually wouldn’t have accomplished much if Sarah hadn’t pointed out that one thing. As you learn, notice which details actually change how you think.

If you wish to not get stuck, seek to perceive what you have not yet perceived.

excellent, quoted and hopefully become part of my mind,
Post 20 Jan 2018, 14:01
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
http://paulgraham.com/vb.html
Quote:

Life is short,

If you ask yourself what you spend your time on that's bullshit, you probably already know the answer. Unnecessary meetings, pointless disputes, bureaucracy, posturing, dealing with other people's mistakes, traffic jams, addictive but unrewarding pastimes.

If you're a freelancer or a small company, you can do this at the level of individual customers. If you fire or avoid toxic customers, you can decrease the amount of bullshit in your life by more than you decrease your income.

But while some amount of bullshit is inevitably forced on you, the bullshit that sneaks into your life by tricking you is no one's fault but your own. And yet the bullshit you choose may be harder to eliminate than the bullshit that's forced on you. Things that lure you into wasting your time on them have to be really good at tricking you. An example that will be familiar to a lot of people is arguing online. When someone contradicts you, they're in a sense attacking you. Sometimes pretty overtly. Your instinct when attacked is to defend yourself. But like a lot of instincts, this one wasn't designed for the world we now live in. Counterintuitive as it feels, it's better most of the time not to defend yourself. Otherwise these people are literally taking your life.

Arguing online is only incidentally addictive. There are more dangerous things than that. As I've written before, one byproduct of technical progress is that things we like tend to become more addictive. Which means we will increasingly have to make a conscious effort to avoid addictions—to stand outside ourselves and ask "is this how I want to be spending my time?"

As well as avoiding bullshit one should actively seek out things that matter. But different things matter to different people, and most have to learn what matters to them. A few are lucky and realize early on that they love math or taking care of animals or writing, and then figure out a way to spend a lot of time doing it. But most people start out with a life that's a mix of things that matter and things that don't, and only gradually learn to distinguish between them.

One heuristic for distinguishing stuff that matters is to ask yourself whether you'll care about it in the future. Fake stuff that matters usually has a sharp peak of seeming to matter. That's how it tricks you. The area under the curve is small, but its shape jabs into your consciousness like a pin.

If life is short, we should expect its shortness to take us by surprise. And that is just what tends to happen. You take things for granted, and then they're gone. You think you can always write that book, or climb that mountain, or whatever, and then you realize the window has closed.

wisdom!
Post 20 Jan 2018, 15:29
Furs

Post 20 Jan 2018, 16:49
sleepsleep

https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse/videos
Quote:

Description
Tons of awesome courses in one awesome channel! Nicole Sweeney teaches you sociology, Carrie Anne Philbin teaches you computer science, Craig Benzine teaches film history, and Mike Rugnetta is teaching mythology!

Check out the playlists for past courses in physics, philosophy, games, economics, U.S. government and politics, astronomy, anatomy & physiology, world history, biology, literature, ecology, chemistry, psychology, and U.S. history.

Help support Crash Course at Patreon.com/CrashCourse.
Post 20 Jan 2018, 20:43
sleepsleep

am i conscious,
how long i could remain conscious,
Post 21 Jan 2018, 11:26
sleepsleep

what are the differences,
when i am tired, and about to fall asleep,

what are the differences,
when i am old, senile, dementia,

you see, we are experiencing our old age daily without our knowing,

if i choose to forget yesterday, what are the differences to my past life memories not given to me?

what am i going to hold, from here to there?

what limit here to there?
Post 21 Jan 2018, 20:37
sleepsleep

apparently, people could stop posting for no particular reason, Laughing

is like how people called you and said, am gonna stop talking to you after this,

it sounds very true too when you beloved husband said, i hate you, and please leave my life,

people could come in into your life as they please, and walk away when they felt they should no longer exists in your life,

天下没有不散的筵席
tiān xià méi yǒu bù sàn de yán xí
all good things must come to an end (idiom)

nothing is bad, nothing is good,
after all, each word you see here is very virtual,

i should be grateful,
at least they cross your neuron in this lifetime,

take care and still, take care, YONG
Post 22 Jan 2018, 17:58
Furs

Looks like even his blog is down (yongsir.blog.com) or did he have another site? Maybe he wanted to disappear. Confused
Post 22 Jan 2018, 18:12
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

Ragequit? Exhaustion? Boredom? Experiment? Enforced? Censorship? Laziness? Frustration? Illness?

There could be any number of reasons.
Post 22 Jan 2018, 18:24
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

This will Change Your Reality! (2018)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkQk4G0VST0

Quote:
The higher you are, the less the people below you matter.
Post 22 Jan 2018, 19:36
Furs

The truth is, most people don't matter to any specific person. And by "most" I do mean "most". How many people can you truly keep track of anyway? I bet less than 500, if even that (which is already a huge stretch). And then... the number of people is more than 10 million times that.

Most people can't comprehend large numbers. So here's a way to think of it. If you counted those 500 people per second non-stop (imagine, counting from 1 to 500 per second without a break, not even sleep!), it would take you about 116 days to finish.

And that's not even the actual population, only 5 billion.

So I can say, by far, most people will never matter to you, you won't know their faces, their personalities, their names, or anything.

You won't even be able to say "hello" to each of them, you'd have to say "hello" 500 times per second and it would still take you 116 days to greet 5 billion people -- and that's not the total population of the planet. Rolling Eyes
Post 23 Jan 2018, 13:20
sleepsleep

very true,

there is a limit somehow how many people human could concern or stay close,
making friends, finding partners, etc, does it means human is too fragile to exists alone? Laughing

existence sounds weird,

writing novels and having all kinds of conflicts, love inside your mind, memories, what actually at play? idk,

imagine how great the paradise, how worse and terrible the situation in hell, one bring pleasure another bring pain, suffering,

the idea to have something that capable to torture a conscious, surely god is psychopath,

when 0 is the basic form of everything, how the hell it could change to 1, unless 0 is not the basic form,

and you could dissect another smaller than 0 forever and probably never reach the most basic form of an exist,

damn, what a great mystery, Laughing

conscious without any idea what is conscious, how to conscious, omg, Laughing
Post 23 Jan 2018, 23:59
sleepsleep

are we wrong focus?

seek to dump? gamble until we lose?
Post 24 Jan 2018, 00:47
Furs

sleepsleep wrote:
very true,

there is a limit somehow how many people human could concern or stay close,
making friends, finding partners, etc, does it means human is too fragile to exists alone? Laughing
Don't forget people with "10k friends" on Facebook. "Friends" they don't even know the name of, let alone anything else about them. Rolling Eyes

sleepsleep wrote:
the idea to have something that capable to torture a conscious, surely god is psychopath,
Or maybe we're just interactions within his "pond"? God took a rock or whatever and threw it into his pond; we (and the Universe) is the resulting wave interactions in that 4D pond. Though since spacetime itself is expanding I guess it's more analogous to something erupting into the pond, maybe a "spacetime vulcano" at the center.

Now, who said when you throw a rock into a pond there isn't an entire "Universe" within the pond and the waves, who has its own conscience in its own way? Doesn't mean you want to torture the sub-particles there, nor does it make you a psychopath throwing that rock. Wink
Post 24 Jan 2018, 15:05
revolution

Or maybe we were all just sneezed out of the nose of the Great Green Arkleseizure.
Post 24 Jan 2018, 15:14
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs

And what relationship would such a sneeze have with the fact that the Universe acts like a giant 4D "pond" and every "particle" is just a measured peak of a wave? Rolling Eyes (I linked it previously)
Post 24 Jan 2018, 16:00
revolution

Well instead of God and a pond we have the Great Green Arkleseizure and its nose exhaust.

It was supposed to be a reference the one of the H2G2 books, but I guess it was too esoteric.
Post 24 Jan 2018, 16:54
Furs

Yeah, had no idea about it Smile I was thinking more along terms of how spacetime is usually "imagined" as a sheet of paper (which is 2D, but spacetime is 4D), so a similar 4D "pond".
Post 25 Jan 2018, 20:12
sleepsleep

imagine if you are stranded on the ocean, alone, for days, seeing no one except wide ocean, the ever changing skies, sun and moon, begging for rain water, and your desire to hold on keeps on decreasing each minute,

now, how is this different from now? when you are on land, having ample oxygen, and food, when the feet touch the earth, when you could see souls moving around,

you could be very alone deep inside your own physical body, and all the souls you seeing moving around are exactly like the moving clouds,

are we stranded inside this giant oxygen ocean?

earth might be the deepest ocean one could get, how bout we suppose to breath outside of earth, outside of earth atmosphere,
Post 26 Jan 2018, 11:46
Furs

Maybe it helps if you think of Earth as a spaceship. Do you think you're in a cage being in a spaceship? I mean, people design spaceships to protect them and make their experience comfortable. Earth clearly protects us and is obviously "comfortable" to us and life. It probably wasn't designed, but it still qualifies as a big spaceship.

Earth seems like a boring place until you end up in space (say, intergalatic space) with no sound, no clouds, no wind, absolutely nothing, and only light from stars that are so far away they will never change or become closer. Assuming you are even alive obviously.

BTW food for thought for you Wink What if we divided up everything evenly among everyone. What is our ‘fair share?’
Quote:
Gold: There is about 171,300 tonnes of gold in the world, which could fill a cube 20.7 meters on a side [3]. This is a bit bigger than a house, but barely 23 milligrams per person. Forget your dreams of a golden golf ball. This is a housefly’s weight of gold per person. Do you own any gold jewelry? Because in a fair-share world you barely have enough for gold plating.
Needless to say, that's "now". Gold doesn't grow, but human population does, since breeding is not controlled. So that puny amount will be even less in an equal world that doesn't restrict breeding.

Resources are fixed. To properly live in such a world, human population must be fixed (forcefully), by logical consequence.

("Nature" has a way of controlling breeding -- predators, and animals dying of starvation if they multiply over their limits; but humans have no predators, and needless to say, we don't want to end up in a situation where the average person is starving Rolling Eyes)
Post 27 Jan 2018, 17:01

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 158, 159, 160  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: