flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > Something called Java Quick Starter (aka jqs.exe)

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

Something called Java Quick Starter (aka jqs.exe)
This bastard was responsible for making one computer I have here barely usable for several minutes because of this "quick" start. It is a WinXP SP3 on a AMD Athlon64 AM2 with ~448 MB RAM (the memory module is a 512 MB one but 64 MB are borrowed by the video chip).

It would be great if they designed this to start warming their stuff AFTER the system looks pretty idle AND with enough free RAM but this way was lots of I/O making whatever program you want to start take a lot of time...

Solution I've suggest to apply even on better setups: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/quickstarter.xml

Not verified but I don't think all this takes only 20 MB as claimed in the link, BTW.
Post 27 Nov 2009, 22:51
windwakr

Just disable it.
Post 27 Nov 2009, 23:27
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

If you allowed the automatic updater to install the latest update you'll have to disable it again. Also, since they seem to need to ensure the speed as if we where doing some real-time, mission critical task, they now also install a plug-in on Firefox called Java Quick Starter (hey, isn't it the same thing already enabled in the Windows' Control Panel?). Make sure to disable both.

Haven't checked if it did the same for IE by installing a complement.

Seems that they didn't like to be bought by Oracle and now they are working hard to make sure people hate them Smile

PS: BTW, I also hate the search feature of this forum, I've tried several keywords and it was unable to locate this thread, I had to make a search with no keywords and restricting results to Heap and my user name and then search manually to find it Evil or Very Mad
Post 01 Apr 2010, 13:38
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

I notice that Adobe are the same. They install a quick starter without asking. It uses 26MB and does nothing most of the time unless you happen to be reading a PDF. They are arrogant enough to assume that we are happy to permanently give up 26MB to Adobe even when not reading a PDF. Hehe, that reminds me, I really must start to look into alternative a PDF reader.

Oh yeah, Open Office also has a quick starter, IIRC it is ~50MB. I think this is one reason why I hate installers, they do things I don't want without asking me.

LocoDelAssembly: Did you know that the forum search cannot search thread titles? That is why you couldn't find anything.
Post 01 Apr 2010, 15:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
edfed

a good alternative PDF reader is foxit reader, light weight, etc... able to do what a reader should do. nothing less.
win98 compatible, then, better for all re-windows.

about java, i dislike it because of the trade cotation and the fact that it is a virtual CPU without any definitive version, then, impossible to port with fasm.
and a virtual CPU that doesn't use any register, evrything is in the stack, then, it needs a serious overhead to do anything on a real machine.

the fact that it takes at least 20MB to execute a simpel java application is also a bad point.
Post 01 Apr 2010, 15:28
revolution

I was not happy with the Foxit thing, it uses an install .exe, ugh. Also, it looks like it will have nag screens asking for money?
Post 01 Apr 2010, 15:31
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
edfed

no, no money, just be carefull while installing, at a step, if i remember well, it asks for the install of some dumb software that have nothing to do on a sane PC. maybe i talk about the winamp software i fired of my PC, i don't remember exactlly.

try it... Very Happy

that's all, after, it is powerfull, fast, open any PDF in less than 2 seconds.
a pure pleasure for an adobe victim.
Smile
Post 01 Apr 2010, 15:59
ManOfSteel

Post 01 Apr 2010, 16:02
revolution

Yeah, I was considering Sumatra reader as a possible alternative, and the above makes me even more certain that this is what I will likely change to.
Post 01 Apr 2010, 16:15
edfed

now i verified, foxit 2.2 don't propose any junk soft during install.

i tested the download document that is supposed to launch the prompt, it does nothing.

maybe the security hole is in the OS, not the reader.

i remember the boring use of XP when it does'nt have any AV software.
no more than 1 day of internet connection is enough to catch many viruses, whithout using any site or internet feature. it is not the case with the so detested win98. just block some parameters in internet connections, erase microsoft client, and it becomes great.
Post 01 Apr 2010, 16:34
windwakr

LocoDelAssembly wrote:
PS: BTW, I also hate the search feature of this forum, I've tried several keywords and it was unable to locate this thread, I had to make a search with no keywords and restricting results to Heap and my user name and then search manually to find it Evil or Very Mad

This thread is easy to find. "java AND quick" brings up just 9 results(one of which is this thread). The "AND" keyword is very helpful in searching these forums.

EDIT: OK, nevermind then.

Last edited by windwakr on 01 Apr 2010, 17:45; edited 2 times in total
Post 01 Apr 2010, 17:20
revolution

windwakr wrote:
This thread is easy to find. "java AND quick" brings up just 9 results(one of which is this thread). The "AND" keyword is very helpful in searching these forums.

That is now. But before it could not be found like that because "java" was not written in the message text.
Post 01 Apr 2010, 17:23
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

Something! aka! jqs.exe!

Now, the tittle is fully searchable Razz

Any technical reason for not searching in posts titles? Thanks for the tip revolution.
Post 01 Apr 2010, 17:47
revolution

LocoDelAssembly wrote:
Any technical reason for not searching in posts titles?

You need to ask the people at phpBB why. Probably just laziness I guess.
Post 01 Apr 2010, 18:04
Picnic

revolution wrote:

LocoDelAssembly wrote:
Any technical reason for not searching in posts titles?

You need to ask the people at phpBB why. Probably just laziness I guess.

Just did a search for 'Conversion Dialog [DONE]', clicked 'Search for all terms' and gave the author name 'Madis731'.
Result is 'No topics or posts met your search criteria'
It should find it i think.
Post 01 Apr 2010, 19:02
revolution

Searching for "quickstarter", "*quickstarter*", "*quickstarter" or "quickstarter*" finds nothing. So it seems it can't find substrings in links either.
Post 01 Apr 2010, 20:14
f0dder

revolution wrote:
Yeah, I was considering Sumatra reader as a possible alternative, and the above makes me even more certain that this is what I will likely change to.

Sumatra crashes too often for it to be useful to me :/

Foxit is decent enough, and the only nag I get is a small bitmap+link in the menubar advertising the pro version.

Post 03 Apr 2010, 12:49
revolution

f0dder wrote:
Sumatra crashes too often for it to be useful to me :/

Oh. Maybe I will have to write my own.
Post 04 Apr 2010, 12:15
revolution

In case anyone is interested I have decided upon Sumatra (v1.9). The deciding factors were:
  • No installer (it is portable)
  • No bloat (Foxit has facebook and twitter integration. WTF!)
  • No ribbon (Nitro has a ribbon eating up screen space)
  • No DRM (adobe likes to restrict me too much)
  • No quickstarter app (did I mention it is portable? And it is already fast anyway without this such nonsense)
  • Loads fast (just a single executable)
  • Displays fast (no noticeable delay for images or text)
  • Sources are available (not that I read them but it is nice to know they are there in case the developer gives up on the project)
Post 17 Jan 2012, 10:10
sleepsleep

/me using sumatra pdf reader too, fast & easy, so far no crash.

but are we (asm guys) suppose to put java inside our pc??

well, only in one situation i felt i need java, those "youtube" online downloader requires us to have java in order to proceed.

i tried some firefox plugin downloader, so far the experience is not so good.

they said, java is dead, sinking ship, maybe yes i guess.
Post 17 Jan 2012, 12:41

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: