flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > How did you hear about FASM?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
rCX

rCX
After watching this fasmcon video, I was wondering when and why everyone started using fasm. Who were the early users?

I started coding in asm in 2002 using debug.com in DOS before I switched to NASM in mid-2004. During that time, the development of NASM stagnated. I stumbled upon this forum in July of 2007 and I never went back.

(Sorry if this is a repeat of an earlier thread...)
Post 02 May 2009, 04:16
YONG

YONG
In December, 2004, I did a google search using these words: What should a lonely loser, like me, do with his life? There was just one result returned: Be happy, enjoy yourself while you can, and visit flatassembler.net. Wink
Post 02 May 2009, 05:03
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bitshifter

bitshifter
I was researching alternative operating system design.
At the time i was using nasm over the command line.
When i found fasmw with its ide i was instantly hooked.
I especially liked the idea of it not optimizing my horrible code.

Post 02 May 2009, 05:45
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
YONG wrote:
In December, 2004, I did a google search using these words: What should a lonely loser, like me, do with his life? There was just one result returned:
I get 228000 results. And with quotes I get zero. Question
Post 02 May 2009, 07:27
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sinsi

sinsi
Quote:
I was researching alternative operating system design
When i found fasmw with its ide i was instantly hooked.
Same here, especially the IDE.

I reckon I got the idea from hutch's masm32 site.
Post 02 May 2009, 07:46
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Some time around 2001-2002, even before I had internet at home, I was mass-downloading every asm-related resource I could find. I think I found FASM at programmersheaven.net. Originally I didn't use it all that much (I used TASM), but when I decided to try out some windows programming, FASM was only compiler quick enough to be usable on my old 486.
Post 02 May 2009, 08:59
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
YONG wrote:
In December, 2004, I did a google search using these words: What should a lonely loser, like me, do with his life? There was just one result returned:
I get 228000 results. And with quotes I get zero. Question
I strongly believe that you have better things to do. Hey man, grow up! Mad Didn't you see the words "In December, 2004"?
Post 02 May 2009, 09:41
revolution

revolution
YONG wrote:
Didn't you see the words "In December, 2004"?
I don't have a time machine handy, mine is currently in the shop for repair.
YONG wrote:
I strongly believe that you have better things to do.
Err, no actually. Razz
Post 02 May 2009, 09:50
tom tobias

tom tobias
back in '95, i.e. two years after I stopped using TASM, I was playing around with zener diodes, and needed some additional information, so, I went to the internet, and using my favorite search engine, of those days, i.e. Alta Vista, I entered Zener, and came up with:
this site, which then predicted that eight years hence, i.e. 2003, I would encounter FASM, I think there may have also been a warning associated with the prediction, something about zee dinero..., or maybe zero dinero. Yeah, that must have been it.
Post 02 May 2009, 11:37
revolution

revolution
tom tobias wrote:
back in '95, i.e. two years after I stopped using TASM, I was playing around with zener diodes, and needed some additional information, so, I went to the internet, and using my favorite search engine, of those days, i.e. Alta Vista, I entered Zener, and came up with:
this site, which then predicted that eight years hence, i.e. 2003, I would encounter FASM, I think there may have also been a warning associated with the prediction, something about zee dinero..., or maybe zero dinero. Yeah, that must have been it.
Wow, that is an amazing story. And even more amazing that the site you link has only been around since 2005, but there you were using it in 1995, and predicting future outcomes. Shocked
Post 02 May 2009, 12:44
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
my very first post on this board was around 2004.
decard,pelaillo,Vortex,Vasilev Vjacheslav,JohnFound,comrade,Matrix,Madis731, ... hmm, wonder where they all gone? it would be nice to hear about them.

where they gone?
Post 02 May 2009, 18:01
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
pelaillo, comrade and Madis731 are still with us!
Post 02 May 2009, 18:04
revolution

revolution
Matrix has also posted quite recently!
Post 02 May 2009, 18:05
Borsuc

Borsuc
I wanted a good and flexible assembler. I searched with Google, first got into NASM, then discovered FASM, and used it since.
Post 02 May 2009, 20:39
Picnic

Picnic
Tasm & Fasm were the first Assemblers i tried a couple of years ago.
I knew almost nothing about asm and quickly disappointed because i couldn't make anything run in Fasm Smile
I switched back to Tasm and few months later decide to give Fasm (give myself actually) another chance, i sign up to forum.
Post 04 May 2009, 08:49
HyperVista

HyperVista
Sometime in 2004 I decided to write a hypervisor and realized I needed a good assembler to do some of the deep tricky parts. I had some dated experience with TASM and was suspect of any support from Borland for that product going forward and began looking at MASM and NASM. I wasn't happy with MASM or NASM and the message boards for those assemblers were a bit intimidating, sometimes bordering on rude. I was reluctant to ask my newbie questions there for fear of being flamed out of existence.
I stubled across a comparison of modern assembers on Randal Hyde's web page and read that he predicted that FASM was poised to overtake NASM. That intrigued me enough to lead me to flatassembler.net.
I was very impressed with the capabilities of FASM (of course) and encouraged that it was still being actively supported and improved on a regular basis.
But what really "hooked" me was this message board. I found, and continue to find, the members of this board to be courteous (for the most part Smile ), humorous and helpful in the extreme. Tomasz was and is responsive to user requests and input. You can't ask for more than that.
Post 04 May 2009, 12:42
MHajduk

MHajduk
I read about FASM in the article written by Tomasz Grysztar published in the Polish magazine "Software 2.0" (2/2003) and I liked this assembler at once for its simplicity. Smile Since July 2003 I use FASM as a main programming language for my projects. Wink

Description: "Software 2.0" magazine (2/2003)
Filesize: 81.89 KB
Viewed: 7575 Time(s)

DSC00155.JPG

Post 04 May 2009, 13:25
Mac2004

Mac2004
I was using Nasm (until year 2003) and got tired of those more or less buggy results it produces. Although I don't hate Nasm.
I encountered Fasm through a search engine, tried it and since then I have used no other assembler.
It's simply to use and produces decent output. Smile

regards,
Mac2004
Post 04 May 2009, 15:34
Enko

Enko
In 2005 I was looking to learn assambly programing after I some how mastered Object Pascal with Delphi.
The options was Tasm (but I couldn't find a 32 bit version), Masm and some guy sad somthing about a free assembler called Fasm.
Tried both, really hated the Masm offset and adress directives. The idea of:
Code:
mov eax, x ; pointer
mov eax, [x]; content of the pointer

sell me fasm preaty goooooood.
Post 04 May 2009, 15:48
rCX

rCX
HyperVista wrote:
But what really "hooked" me was this message board. I found, and continue to find, the members of this board to be courteous (for the most part Smile ), humorous and helpful in the extreme.

Yeah this is the same for me. The main reason I picked up fasm was because of this community. I was also very impressed by MeOS...

Does anyone know if nasm has a forum, other than the sourceforge one?
Post 04 May 2009, 17:22

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: