flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > Cloud computing. Who is in control?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Coddy41

if tier1 went down... I'd need to get a new Internet provider, probably go back to AOL Laughing

If the wight house, meh, I wouldn't worry to much, I don't depend on the goverment.

And whats so bad about living in the woodz I love it, just give me a single power jack for my netbook Laughing
Post 22 Jan 2010, 19:05
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc

Azu wrote:
Out of curiosity what would happen if a Tier 1 network got compromised?

Whoops, there goes a tenth of the Internet, just like that.

hmm... only the traffic, not the data itself. You could use a virtual LAN server for a small replacement if you can access that server without going through that route.

Azu wrote:
Unless the power grid gets a virus.

Solar panels? Wink

Post 22 Jan 2010, 19:19
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

In case anyone is still keen to use cloud computing resources here is an article giving some information and advice on what to look out for and what to consider before putting your data in the hands of others.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cloud-computing-security,2829.html

It is not very comprehensive, but it is better than nothing.
Post 29 Dec 2010, 02:38
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DarkAlchemist

Wow, this thread was almost a year old from the last reply and only this much information is out there about the subject?
Post 29 Dec 2010, 03:39
revolution

Another two articles to take note of:

From Real-Time Intercepts to Stored Records: Why Encryption Drives the Government to Seek Access to the Cloud

Feds Tell Megaupload Users to Forget About Their Data

The second link isn't even really cloud computing, but data backup. If you use "the cloud" to backup data (encrypted, of course) then make sure you use multiple providers. And also take care to make sure that those multiple providers you choose are not all using the same backend infrastructure. This is common with Amazon's EC2 system. There are a lot of resellers out there that are simply using Amazon to store your data and reselling it to you.
Post 12 Jun 2012, 01:48
typedef

Well, these guys "benefit" from it.

AV makers: If you have an AV and it flags a file, the hash is sent to the Cloud and shared with other AVs.

Search Engines: No comment.

And about privacy, that is BS. Even windows Live SkyDrive does peek into your files. I had a GTA3 game copy on my SkyDrive and I never saw it again. But the folder in which it was in remained.

Fuck this. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Mad
Post 12 Jun 2012, 08:50
revolution

typedef wrote:
And about privacy, that is BS. Even windows Live SkyDrive does peek into your files.

Why does that surprise you? If someone else is storing data on your drive can you honestly say that you would never look at it? Ever? I thought not.

Last edited by revolution on 21 Aug 2012, 14:53; edited 1 time in total
Post 12 Jun 2012, 10:23
revolution

Trouble in paradise
Apple co-founder Wozniak sees trouble in the cloud

Steve Wozniak said: wrote:
"I really worry about everything going to the cloud," he said. "I think it's going to be horrendous. I think there are going to be a lot of horrible problems in the next five years."

He added: "With the cloud, you don't own anything. You already signed it away" through the legalistic terms of service with a cloud provider that computer users must agree to.

"I want to feel that I own things," Wozniak said. "A lot of people feel, 'Oh, everything is really on my computer,' but I say the more we transfer everything onto the web, onto the cloud, the less we're going to have control over it."

Post 05 Aug 2012, 11:33
revolution

Yet another reason not to trust those Cloud thingies.

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2012/08/yet_another_ris.html wrote:
A hacker can social-engineer his way into your cloud storage and delete everything you have.

And why do people allow their iSlave (and other "smart" phone) devices to be remotely controlled?

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/all/ wrote:
... my AppleID account was broken into, and hackers used it to remotely erase all of the data on my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook

Last edited by revolution on 21 Aug 2012, 14:53; edited 1 time in total
Post 08 Aug 2012, 12:37
hopcode

after reading this from Stallman
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/internet-privacy-control-your-computing-before-it-controls-you-a-775218.html
i think that
1) CC is already happening
2) CC is a nebulous concept
3) CC may be strumentalized by globalizing-politics
4) Stallman's answer to CC is right but insufficient and bad formulated.

i can say that CC seems to me rather a cultural matter like "internet","opensource", "P2P", or concientious obiection is.

one gets acquainted with CC without realizing how big and influencing it is.
then comes a time when you cannot avoid it no more, or your intelligence cannot move
a finger against it: i call this process "necrosis".

ok, dont mind. my point of view now:

1) all must be open source, servers/clients/clients acting as servers etc.
because we know, as for example, about crypto-algos that cannot be exported or
the failure of getting CORBA working after political binary reasons.
one should be aware of the permissions coming from those sources.
thus freedom of technology means open accessible technology.

2) because of the nebulousity of the concept, "political reasons" may profit
of the "freedom of technolggy" using the already well known and tested
way-of-acting of a globalizing politics. afterall "privacy" too doesent exist.
in few words, CC may favour the "bad" to get back as result the "worst" of all.

in fact the tablets you use to read this post are mostly being assembled from people
living a stunted life (the bad) and uncapable of autonomy;
uncapable to foresee what morning will be of their own life. if this will
be "globalized" to the freedom of software too by CC, it is the worst,
as warned by Stallman.

3) our "mood" should be about thinking essentially now a way for us and for
next generations to live on the Moon.

but as countermeasures to the cathastrophic view of Stallman i prefer
reading Gogol' and impove my sense of irony.
one thing is a MUST: if you are good developers but you never heard about
what the Hippocratic Oath
or the Conscientious_objection is: build for yourself a "robust" epistemology by solving that cultural aporetical nut.

Ok Smile ,i'll admit it: it is no more an opinion. it's my own Declaration of Indipendence.
Strongly suggested is that Stallman read this post: then he stops screaming,
doesent give up please, and re-considers again the core of the whole as already exposed
in the basic principles of opensource:
that freedom of technology is concretely to improve intelligence and conditions of
human beings, not surely to allow people overwhelm other people, in no way, by no means.

embrace the future, my friends,
"rock it", as someone suggested some times ago.

Cheers,

Post 21 Aug 2012, 14:37
AsmGuru62

Somehow, I think, the Open Source Forever will kill the healthy competition.
And no competition means no quality -- USSR (my pre-historic place of birth) comes to mind... total meltdown of quality.
Post 21 Aug 2012, 16:35
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699

Quote:

that freedom of technology is concretely to improve intelligence and conditions of human beings, not surely to allow people overwhelm other people, in no way, by no means.

agree,

but the damage from evil governments are real,
and we don't want to wield them more armour if we knew they are robbers, extremists, lunatics,
Post 21 Aug 2012, 23:41
hopcode

hi people,
communication protocols (OSI stack) are a good example of open source
stuff. they are successful because:
- open source (you can discuss them and improve them)
- they are textual
then, thanks unicode standard, we can communicate in a simple way.

one should free ones' mind from those old-fashioned-concepts of
quality, competion etc. and even from fear, or "damage from governments".

to do so, you start asking open source developers why they did it
open source. an answer is already in the license. the BSD for example
is for communication protocols.

after that, all remains "relative" (i hate to attribute it using that word, but it is so).
open source stuff may be/act/work for "robbed","extremist", "lunatic". but
if you choose it it is because you have the freedom to choose
it or discuss it.
also, rather a cultural matter than technological. guidelines are in my post above.

Cheers,

Post 22 Aug 2012, 12:49
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
google in charge,
http://cloud.google.com/products/compute-engine.html

Quote:
Run your large-scale computing workloads on Linux virtual machines hosted on Google's infrastructure. Sign up to request access.

Post 24 Aug 2012, 04:17
typedef

^^Just another way for the Govt. to get at terrorists. Very Happy
Post 24 Aug 2012, 09:46
hopcode

Hallo everybody, and Happy New 2014.

Quote:
...the damage from evil governments are real

and

Quote:
...total meltdown of quality

agree. they are effects. when you think at sensible datas residing in the cloud well, potential security issues multiply. in
real-case-cloud-applications i am studying (medical,forensic databases etc) one should protect in some way

- the local passwords (and datas eventually)
- the clouded-copy of datas
- the stream (communication,protocols etc)
- people working on it (including underpayed developers = virtual security holes)

for this reason it is quite impossible to host in the cloud open source stuff. there is a lot of stuff to keep "hidden". and as far as i know
there's no technology capable to keep safe all that stuff together at the same time.

for what concerns datas in the cloud, you will meet privacy and yet unresolved problems in many countries and different conditions.

example: i go to my doctor, he uses his handy to store/access datas about me on the server.
he and other collegues of him (in Germany, but not France for example) can access/modify/update datas
for a more integral analysis (they state it's better so for my health, they are interested, they take the maximum care of me)
to solve my supposed mental disease.

i can say the application of "cloud" is so stupid (some example have been exposed in this thread too) that i can imagine that just stupid concept
will be surely applied to us and to the next generation software.

the reasons being:
1) it is for money = power essentially that governments are evil and life/technology quality remains low (unacceptable i would say).
2) the cloud is the best known method to control people.

also, i am not pessimist. i find argumented reasons why the cloud-concepts, the way we are knowing them now, will work,
humiliating one more time and to control deeper again our natural (!?) way of living.

Cheers,
Very Happy

Post 01 Jan 2014, 10:49
sleepsleep

now windows 8.1 comes integrated with SKYDRIVE,
if pc / lappy is connected after installation, it would ask you to log in with Windows LIVE account instead of create local windows account,

things will get more and more connected, then probably in a near future, you could only use it after you let go your privacy, things must be connected,

same like google android playstore, integrate your gmail account with your smartphone to easily download more apps,

and most people don't care, they don't understand the vulnerabilities in such cloud approach,

it would becomes near impossible to hide your identity, location, and etc now,
Post 01 Jan 2014, 17:08
dogman

Re: Cloud computing. Who is in control?

drhowarddrfine wrote:
The cloud uses technology that's long been available and used by everyone. The government can't care less about your secret love letters. Get a life.

Factually wrong. People on the government payroll have been caught and fired for spanking the monkey reading people's romantic emails. How many more haven't been caught, or haven't been fired is anybody's guess. Stuffing your head in the sand and pretending good guys have nothing to fear is bullshit. Big Brother is using your tax dollars to p0wn your life. Is that ok? I think not.

Post 01 Jan 2014, 17:39
revolution

This link is about cloud storage of your personal stuff, but reading the whole article actually indicates a much more serious threat: being unable to use your device unless you sign on to your overlords ... oops, I mean your "preferred service provider's" services.

We’re Forced to Use Cloud Services—but at What Cost?

The companies all want to own us, our data and our lives. If we just simply let it happen then I guess we will deserve it.

It all comes down to money, of course. It is not enough now to only sell you a product, now you also have to be subjected to constant ads and subscription services. If you refuse to sign up then you get no support and no help; and also your device doesn't work or has severe and arbitrary limitations imposed by the seller. So who is really in control?
Post 24 Jan 2014, 16:46
revolution

Microsoft says it snooped on Hotmail to track leak

http://phys.org/news/2014-03-microsoft-snooped-hotmail-track-leak.html

Just another normal day in the cloud server business reading everyone's private stuff. Nothing to see here, move along.

Remember to always keep your stuff in the cloud so you (and everyone else) will have access to it from anywhere at anytime. That is assuming you have an Internet connection; and assuming the company is still in business; and assuming you have paid the latest bills; and assuming they didn't lock you out for breaching some arbitrary term of service; and assuming the government hasn't shut it down because other people were storing illegal stuff there; and assuming your country hasn't blocked access because of some pointless political spat; and assuming you keep an unencrypted connection so the local "security agency" can monitor you. So apart from all those difficulties it should be no problem to store it all in "the cloud".
Post 21 Mar 2014, 10:13

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: