flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > How did you hear about FASM?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
rCX

rCX
I like history, so here are some milestones of fasm as covered at fasmcon. FASM was announced on March 15, 2000 with this post linking to Tomasz's webpage.

Fasm had a sourceforge site by October 16 2002. At win32asmcommunity.net, the precursor of asmcommunity.net, the number of posts about fasm grew quickly from 721 posts on September 21, 2002 to 3177 on October 1, 2003; Much faster than the MASM32 board. The fasm board was closed on October 13, 2003.

Here is the oldest archived version of flatassembler.net from 2003. This forum opened on June 16, 2003 with this thread. Nearly a decade after fasm was announced being announced, the fourm now has over 3,000 users and nearly 100,000 posts. The latest version is 1.67.38 with older versions archived here.

EDIT: Fixing mistake revolution caught. See below...

Last edited by rCX on 15 May 2009, 04:32; edited 1 time in total
Post 04 May 2009, 17:58
Coddy41

Coddy41
I was learning C at the time and wanted to make a small OS, so, I googled
"small tiny OS" and I came across the Fasm boards 512 byte contest, that
was the day I saw how much easier (to me) Fasm was than C and joined Smile

Post 04 May 2009, 19:49
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
I had been working with MASM for a couple years (really just trying to wrap my head around the backwards syntax) at win32asmcommunity.net; and decided to code my own assembler. FASM appeared to meet my needs, but I stubbornly resisted (still do Very Happy). Eventually, it became clear that FASM was the best assembler availble: it eases learning, understanding, and using x86 assembler -- and continues to do so.
Post 04 May 2009, 20:28
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
rCX wrote:
Who were the early users?

The fact is, the early users (I mean the "really early users", from the times of 0.9-1.04 versions) are no longer active.

One of the very first users I got feedback from after the initial release of fasm in 2000, was Bill Isherwood - he gave me a lot of useful hints at the time.

The next one was Leonid Petroff (nick PetroffHeroj), from Russia. He was a pure DOS man (even the e-mail correspondence with me has was doing all from DOS) - and since fasm at the time was aimed at DOS only, the lot of input he made was invaluable to me. And it was in cooperation with him that I designed the couple of implementations of 32-bit unREAL mode and finally came up with the idea for the final one, which is now implemented into DOS fasm.
He was using DOS so extensively, that he was able to catch many bugs that would otherwise go unnoticed. Like: when fasm was hanging when run from the shell executed from inside Cubic Player, while playing some XM in background, it came out that initial implementation of FRM, which was just entering FRM at startup and nothing more, was not enough, because CP had hooked the timer interrupt for the purpose of playing music, and it was entering protected mode and then restoring back the pure real mode, which caused the FRM-assuming fasm to fail.
Too bad he was no longer active when I was developing FASMD - he surely would be of great help. Perhaps I should try to contact him once again?

Another early user from the times of DOS-only fasm was Ken Martwick, one of the FreeDOS developers - he helped me with writing an original documentation of fasm (as my English was much more poor at the time, than it is now).

And then came the 1.04 release, which introduced the PE output and Win32 command line version of assembler. I decided to advertise it on the Win32AsmCommunity message board. One of the very first users that came from there, was Michael Pruitt, with nick eet_1024 (he was later posting on this board, too) - he wrote a nice article about doing CGI with fasm for APJ issue 9, in 2001.

And then came bazik, and then many others, and fasm got own subforum on Win32AsmCommunity, which I later changed into this message board. The rest of history is here. Cool
Post 08 May 2009, 16:47
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
rCX wrote:
I like history, so here are some milestones of fasm as covered at fasmcon. FASM was announced on March 15, 2000 with this post linking to Tomasz's webpage
BTW, this initial webpage was created by me entirely in DOS, with the help of an old copy of the Autodesk Animator Pro (really great graphics software for DOS, I still sometimes lack some of its features in the modern tools). I think I never before gave out this information. Wink
Post 08 May 2009, 16:50
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
(as my English was much more poor at the time, than it is now).

Laughing Was that intentional? Laughing

Post 13 May 2009, 14:17
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
rCX wrote:
This forum opened on June 16, 2003 with this thread.
This post pre-dates it by 9 minutes. Razz
Post 13 May 2009, 14:56
OzzY

OzzY
I don't remember exactly the year, but I was learning ASM and FASM had the best syntax and message board.

Btw I miss old FASMers like comrade, JohnFound, decard, etc.
Post 14 May 2009, 03:35
madmatt

madmatt
I was looking for an alternative to masm and nasm (I was working on two projects at once, an OS, and a DOS VESA graphics library. This would have been 2002-2003), which led me to search for x86 assembler packages. fasm started poping up and decided to download and give it a try. after an initial tug-of-war between me using nasm and fasm, fasm won. But only when I got assurance's from Tomasz that this: wouldn't be abandonware anytime soon, and that sse and sse2 support was comming, and finally, porting my nasm code would be easy Very Happy . Maybe even Tomasz might remember this exchange? Looking at my oldest posts on this forum are also kind of fun! Smile
Post 14 May 2009, 18:23
rCX

rCX
revolution wrote:
rCX wrote:
This forum opened on June 16, 2003 with this thread.
This post pre-dates it by 9 minutes. Razz

Fixed it Cool
Post 15 May 2009, 04:33

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: