flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > House of Blue Light

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Don't any of you guys happen to know what term "House of Blue Light" means? I heard it in many rock songs, both English and US.

Found this, but not sure if it's the right thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_of_Blue_Lights

My quess is some sort of night dance club, or some whorehouse
Post 28 Apr 2008, 20:49
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
I would imagine that a whorehouse would be red light?
Post 29 Apr 2008, 02:31
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AlexP

AlexP
Quote:
I would imagine that a whorehouse would be red light?
Is there an interesting story behind that Revolution? Yeah, I believe 'red light district' was named so by what happened when the cars stopped at red lights, ask Rev for details Confused
Post 29 Apr 2008, 02:57
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Yep, sure, just ask me about the red-light thing, I know all about it. I've made some very nice animated versions also, not just the normal boring flashing ones you see everywhere. ... oh wait, your not talking about red-light LEDs, okay, sorry my mistake.
Post 29 Apr 2008, 03:45
tom tobias

tom tobias
vid wrote:
Don't any of you guys happen to know what term "House of Blue Light" means?
I am not certain, which came first, i.e. the old chicken and egg story, but here's David Kirby's Poetry, published circa 2000, with the same name:
http://www.davidkirby.com/house.htm
Did the rock bands draw inspiration for their various compositions from reading his poetry, or did Kirby write his book, after listening to their noise, er, music. I have first hand experience with neither this "musical" genre, nor Kirby's poetry, having still trouble comprehending Selige Sehnsucht, while listening to Bach's organ preludes, i.e. having not yet attained proficiency with music of the early 18th century, nor poetry of the late 18th century. Hey, I am only 250-300 hundred years behind the rest of you.
http://www.gedichte.vu/?selige_sehnsucht.html
http://www.listenlive.eu/classical.html
Smile
Post 29 Apr 2008, 09:53
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Little Richard's Good Golly Miss Molly comes sometimes from 1956-1957 timespan, and it contains reference to "House of Blue Light". Next reference I know is album of Deep Purple (band whose early rock/classical things could interest even you tom IMO), and several others.

Therefor I think this actually means some definite kind of house...
Post 29 Apr 2008, 10:14
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
MHajduk

MHajduk
vid wrote:
Don't any of you guys happen to know what term "House of Blue Light" means?
I suppose that it could be poetic equivalent of the word "heaven". Question
Post 29 Apr 2008, 13:26
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
hmm, maybe i was right about whorehouse?

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2144

your poet suddenly seems a bit less poetic tom Razz
Post 29 Apr 2008, 13:45
tom tobias

tom tobias
? whorehouse ?
OK, possible, YES. Probable, perhaps??
BUT,
Please consider this:
Here are some of the lyrics:

From the early, early morning
Till the early, early night
When you caught Miss Molly, Miss Molly's
Rocking at the House of Blue Lights

Let us first consider prostitution itself. What would you argue, should be the MOST likely hours, assuming an 8 hour period of time, for a whorehouse to be in operation?

If it were my enterprise, I would want my employees available to provide services NOT from the "early early morning" (i.e. 0400), until the early evening (2000), but rather, from 1600 to 2400. Why?
Well, my imagination, if not practical experience, informs me that MOST of the customers for this service ARE WORKING from "early early morning", until early evening. In my opinion, admittedly, based only on conjecture rather than actual accomplishment, the PRIME time for extramarital social activities is AFTER work has been completed, not DURING the normal working hours. Further, even the most ardent of the amorous must sleep sometime, and if they are working all day, then, they must need to sleep, say from 2200 to 0400, so, that means that the customer supply to this "whorehouse" would be too small to be noticed...
No, I suppose that there is some OTHER meaning to this term.
What kind of light does one require from 0400 to 2000? Maybe one does not need BRIGHT light, for there is sunlight available during MOST of that time frame. Further, some industries require special lighting, for example, photography, back in the time frame of this song, i.e. mid fifties. No digital photography back then....
Perhaps blue lights were employed by the harbor master to guide ships? I don't know the answer, but I am not convinced that the composers of this song, John Marascalco, and Robert Blackwell, confused "blue light" with "red light", and for sure, red light district, not blue light, was associated with prostitution in USA in the 1950's.
It is not widely recognized by many in society, but there are three different types of cones in the retina, and those sensitive to blue light are associated with particular pathologies, for example, Parkinson's disease. Perhaps Molly worked in a neurological hospital? At least the hours of employment would be more reasonable. "Rocking and Rolling", normally attributed to sexual gyrations, could also be observed with one engaged in physical therapy, particularly to assist those suffering end stage diseases of the motor system.
I fear, I fail to comprehend why the poet is less poetic? You mean he stole the name, "house of blue light"? Hmm. I have no clue. I will try to find the book, to learn something about the subject of his poetry.
Smile
Post 29 Apr 2008, 19:28
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
I assure you that Little Richard (btw he was pedophile / homosexual priest) meant "rocking" as sex for sure. There may be other meaning for that term, it's your bussiness to discover reference to other meaning, so you can understand your poetry properly Razz Wink
Post 29 Apr 2008, 19:32
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
The reason for repeating the "early, early" might not be just musical - "early, early morning" could be ~2am?

Post 30 Apr 2008, 05:15
shoorick

shoorick
very like "Mad dog" and "Strange ways" from "House Of Blue Light" by DP. Guessing separate words have not ever think about lyricks so deep before... Smile
Post 05 May 2008, 05:01
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
I love "Mad Dog" and "Unwritten Law". Also "Black and White" and other one i can't remember now.
Post 05 May 2008, 09:29

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: