flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Feedback > Problems: logging in and searching

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

Two problems:

1. Occasionally, if the Internet connection is bad, I get identical "current" time and "last visit" time. This makes searching for new posts always return that there are "no new posts". I think the forum software receives my first login, but, since I never got a response ("this page cannot be displayed") I will go back and try to login again and that is when I see that I had already logged in. Can the forum software be made to not update the last visit time when it receives multiple logins in a short time?

2. As a consequence of problem 1 above I then try to search for posts using the search link. So, I put star (*) in both keyword and author boxes and select posts for the last 1 day. After about 30 seconds I get this result:
Code:
The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log.    
Post 22 Jan 2007, 11:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rugxulo

I got the impression that most people don't search for "new posts since last visit" like I do. In particular, Heap seems to be universally avoided (well, I'm not TOO surprised anymore). Also, it is a problem sometimes when I get distracted and it logs me out automatically.

Yes, searching with * in both author and topic does seem to consistently return an error. I can only guess it messes up because people are posting in the background.

(Honestly, it's just easier, if not entirely optimal, to just manually browse through the sub-forums and read messages than keep trying the same thing over and over again and still getting the error).
Post 22 Jan 2007, 21:25
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

i keep searching and it works...
Post 22 Jan 2007, 22:01
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
DOS386

Quote:
Problems:
Quote:
searching

Well, this is a famous FEATURE of ALL "phpBB" forums.
Want absolutely to read the truth ? It's a BUG Sad

Besides occasionally returning usable results, following bugs can occur:

- Returns ALL posts (VERY useful) Twisted Evil
- Returns NO posts
- Returns an "error"
- Returns a faulty hint reporting a "faulty search request"
- Nothing happens, after several minutes browser reports "timeout"

Title: Hello World program compiles to 100 KB !!!

Post 24 Jan 2007, 06:59
rugxulo

Bah, I tried again this morning. Searching "*","*" for the past "1 day" does NOT work for me! (Oh well, not a big deal but can be annoying.)
Post 28 Jan 2007, 22:01
revolution

The search feature is completely broken today Sad I think the site admin needs to look into this, perhaps the server is overloaded?
Post 13 Feb 2007, 06:02
DOS386

Quote:
search feature is completely broken today

For me it has been for many years already Sad

Quote:
I think the site admin needs

Rather the forum software maintainers Idea

Title: Hello World program compiles to 100 KB !!!

Post 17 Feb 2007, 01:40
revolution

I haven't posted much to this board lately because of the search problem. I just cannot make the time to search manually through each section of the board to find the new messages.

It is rather frustrating to log in and always get told "no new message since your last visit".

Another problem, perhaps related, is that the logout does not work either, I get the error message "invalid _session".

I hope the site/forum maintainer can look into this soon.
Post 03 Mar 2007, 07:20
revolution

Sorry to harp on about this problem, but this forum has recently been very frustrating for me to use. Without the ability to search I just have no time to manually find all new posts one by one.

Is it possible for a moderator/site admin/php software team/whoever to fix this problem? Maybe Tomasz Grysztar (if you are reading) would like to comment about this?
Post 21 Mar 2007, 13:41
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

revolution, you have the same problem with any computer and any ISP you use? I had some problems long time ago but for now I can log in perfectly always and perform the "post since last visit" search.

Hope you can participate actively on the forum soon

Cheers
Post 21 Mar 2007, 14:02
revolution

Today I used the search function and it performed fast and with the results I was looking for. Very Happy Whatever it is you were all doing at the moment I was searching keep doing it so that the searches can continue to work.
Post 08 Dec 2007, 08:52
revolution

I have found a way to trick the system into giving search results almost every time. Still not perfect but getting something is better than nothing. Until the site admin can fix the problem here is a way to get results:

In the box "Search for Keywords:" enter "a* OR e* OR s* OR t* OR r* OR n* OR i* OR o* OR l* OR d*"
In the box "Search for Author:" enter "*"
In the box "Search previous:" select "1 day"
In the box "Return first" select "0"
And leave everything else as default.

Now the first page will come up with actual search results instead of an error message. I chose the most common letters in the search string, if you try to extend it with more letters you once again get an error message.

Hope this helps people to find what has been updated recently. It has been an ongoing frustration with me for a while now.
Post 03 Jan 2008, 13:46
edfed

i've encountered a funny bug on this board.

as i automatically login, i come in and go out of this board very frequently, and 10 minutes ago, i was logged, but i wasn't.

my log was in connected members list, but no connected status at the top of the page "logout [edfed]" only the default "loggin" ... strange.
Post 28 Jan 2008, 02:35
Rahsennor

Quote:
1. Occasionally, if the Internet connection is bad, I get identical "current" time and "last visit" time. This makes searching for new posts always return that there are "no new posts".

I once had this problem when someone turned off my router while I was online. Evil or Very Mad
Quote:
2. As a consequence of problem 1 above I then try to search for posts using the search link.

I too tried the search dialog to no avail. Now I just browse the forums looking for the "new posts" icons, which doesn't seem to have any problems.
Post 01 Feb 2008, 04:05

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: