flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Heap > FASM conference 2007

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
f0dder

Feryno: 2 years of English teaching only? I'm very impressed with your capabilities from such a short period of studying! I think I started having English in third grade, which would be around ~1990.

Some of the questions asked were a bit tricky, I also had to ask for clarification in the chatroom a couple of times before asking them (it was me doing the moderation most of the time, even not using the f0dder nickname).

Tomasz, nice pictures. Your camera is a combined camera/phone? And sure, nothing of ours beats Madis' expensive EOS camera Smile
Post 27 Aug 2007, 14:25
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote

So, why you did not use your nick, Mr. f0dder?

PS: Actually your pic is the best, the daredevil with a beer bottle(?),
standing in front of a loaded cannon Smile

Did you notice it when that pic was being taken?
Post 27 Aug 2007, 14:34
HyperVista

Hi guys. Just got home (Monday 2200 CET) .. whew!!!

f0dder wrote:
I'm afraid the problem is actually the other way around - HyperVista didn't record on disc/tape with his camera, instead the stream was saved on the relay server. When we had to restart the stream (I think it was because tom tobias accidentally turned off the camera when he wanted to zoom? - I did the same thing while testing), we didn't specify a new filename for the saved stream, so it was overwritten.

actually, there may be some hope and i may need some assistance from you file recovery guru types here. the encoder streams the video to the server and it's not stored anywhere on the net. as the video is streaming, it builds a file on my laptop called test.wmv. when the stream is closed (accidentally or otherwise) it writes completes the write of the file to disk. when the steam is restarted, the same thing happens, including when it's done, it writes the file to disk. the problem is, it's the same file name, so the first one gets overwritten (maybe).

i'm hoping that it doesn't actually overwrite the first file, but simply changes the first letter of the file name and saves it off somewhere as a hidden file that is recoverable.

i've got WinHex and going to try to find the "overwritten" file.

Anyone else got some favorite file recovery tools / methods?

once i recover from jetlag and get my shit together, i'll post some photos from the pre- and post- conference activities.

it really was a great conference and thank you all for the great time and interesting discussions throughout. every fasm member should plan on attending next year!
Post 27 Aug 2007, 21:08
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
HyperVista

okay - here are my conference pictures:

Last edited by HyperVista on 28 Aug 2007, 01:22; edited 2 times in total
Post 28 Aug 2007, 00:37
UCM

The RIP (Recovery Is Possible) Linux LiveCD is nice. Depends on your filesystem, though. (NTFS: try ntfsundelete, it will look for deleted file parts.) (By the way, make sure you aren't running whatever OS it originally was - might clobber the remnants of the file. You know this, right? Very Happy)
Post 28 Aug 2007, 00:43
MazeGen

HyperVista, very nice snapshots, particularly that small "angel" at the top of one of st. James' window Smile (In fact, it is a couple)
Post 28 Aug 2007, 06:43
MHajduk

HyperVista

I had similar accident about 10 days ago. I overwrote file with its older version. Laughing Fortunately, it was 50kB TXT file. I recovered it in 100% after 8 hours of work (I was digging the HDD and looking for sectors filled with text spread somewhere on 10GB space and gluing all remnants in one). Smile BTW, professional Win programs (PC Inspector File Recovery) said, that it's unrecoverable.

Half of the file I recovered from sectors placed near "new" version of file, second half from 'vmmhiber.w9x' file (it was under WinME).

I used EBCD (Emergency Boot CD), which is a kind of rescue OS with a good kit of disk devices.
Post 28 Aug 2007, 07:39
Madis731

http://madis.pildid.org

user: fasmers
pass: fasmbrno1

First 2 pages (18 images) are from the conference, the other were my own personal favorites from the city-scape.
And who was that guy I was trying to explain the Audi Q7 jeep ^o) hmm, anyway one (IMG_5174.JPG) was parked in front of my hotel Amphone (IMG_5175.JPG)

If you click on the photos, you'll see all the Exifs are still there, so need for me to describe under what conditions and what time it was taken is insignificant.

Last edited by Madis731 on 28 Aug 2007, 09:33; edited 1 time in total
Post 28 Aug 2007, 08:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
MazeGen

Madis, I hope you landed in Tallin well.

Thank you for sharing! I really like your photos of Brno! Smile
Post 28 Aug 2007, 08:53
asmfan

wow, really nice pics )
Post 28 Aug 2007, 09:27
Madis731

23:40 was the supposed-to-land-time, but actually the lift-off was delayed 25min, while the plane caught up with the time and actually was late only 10 minutes. There was some time spent at the airport, but 00:00 I already left from the Tallinn airport and was home about 00:15...

Mazegen, you've got PM Wink

Btw, shouldn't we think about some free streaming program that can capture USB2.0, FW, save and crunch the compression at the same time? I think it isn't that impossible.
We've got a A) camera, B) link to the computer, C) the computer, D) connection to server, E) the server, Fx)the clients
Code:
  |-The white canvas :D
  |
  |
  |<=A-b-C-d-E
  |         /|\
  |        d d d
  |       /  |  \
         F1 F2 F3

A is irrelevan, so are E and F I think
B is important so that it could keep up with the speed
C is important if we want to have a good quality AND a great compression
C.1 is HDD were its written to
C.2 is the program used to write it (also for streaming)
D is important if we want to have minimal delay

I might try a setup at my home and see if we can handle multiple connection without the loss of responsiveness.

Candidate for B is probably FW, but USB2.0 will do, depending on support. Actually USB is faster in some cases, but has more interference from mice and other devices, which is not the case with FW.

Candidate for C.1 is http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_internal_sata.pdf
x2 in a RAID array (but as we have seen, this one is not the bottleneck)
Candidate for C.2 is http://www.adobe.com/products/flashmediaserver/
or http://www.videolan.org/vlc/streaming.html also possible

D should be 512 up and a few Mb down guarantee. The more the merrier.

In theory, all the encoding, saving, transfer, caching should result in 2 second delay, but I hope that in reality it gets closer to 5 seconds, but its not very convenient to have 15sec+ delays.

I'll do some research and maybe some of you can help me with some pointers...

EDIT: VLC works fine in my corporate LAN, we just need to multiply the delays with 100x or 1000x Wink VLC can stream FROM pretty much everywhere and TO pretty much everything File, disk, direct show, UDP/RTP (uni-, multicast), HTTP/HTTPS/FTP/MMS, RTSP, ....
there are so many options and I just selected the defaults. It was 1Mbps with a video file streaming to local and then other computers fetching its ip-address with a port:8080.

What we can do is instead of pushing the video to a server - we can make a laptop into a server and then with a remote server, pull the data over a network line and then with clients again pulling the stream down. We need static IPs for this as I understand.

The VLC player also supports subtitles, as we all know Smile Isn't it possible to make it SHARE_READWRITEABLE or something and update the subtitles file with the streaming video - afterwards, we can add the subtitles file with the video and the timestamps and everything. It sounds great, but it might be hard to accomplish. Some FASM-magic needed Wink
Post 28 Aug 2007, 09:28
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
f0dder

madis: we used firewire for the cam->pc connection, that part was just fine Smile. The old setup recorded directly to a WMV format, which was at the same time streamed to a relay server, which then fed the clients.

This wasn't the best setup possible, since the recording done on HyperVista's machine wasn't in better quality than what was broadcast, and he didn't record to dv tape at the same time :/

I don't think harddrive speed should be much of a problem today, but we will want to have at least a bit of compression; should be easily done in real-time though. But we will want a higher-quality local copy than what is being sent to the streaming server. The really important thing, though, is that we get something with a bit more decent user interface, which won't overwrite the local stream dump without asking >_<.

We do need to use a relay server rather than feeding directly to the clients, as there's no telling just how fast a connection we'll have at next year's conference place.

Also, the current streaming host probably isn't the best; it might be possible to get the 20+ second delay down, but their very specific requirements about WMV and encoder settings and the encoder to use aren't too good, imho.

So, what you need to look at is really two things:

1) recording + broadcasting software
2) a relay host and software for the host

#1 needs to be able to save locally at a high quality, and stream remotely to the realy at a reduced quality (suitable for a rate somewhere between 512kbit -> 1mbit).

#2 is something I know more or less nothing about Smile. But I think it would be nice if the relay software can do some on-the-fly recompression for clients with lower bandwidth - so we could stream at, say, 1mbps, but 512kbps clients would still be able to view the stream.
Post 28 Aug 2007, 10:44
HyperVista

f0dder wrote:
he didn't record to dv tape at the same time :/

yeah, true. but to also capture video on tape would require A) watching the tape counter to know when it ran out and B) interrupt the conference presenters 5 times during the 6 hours to change tapes because each tape only lasts 1 hour. i didn't anticipate someone turning the camera off in the middle of the proceedings Laughing that said, i should have remembered to save the first portion under a different name, but in the panic to get back on the air, i forgot Crying or Very sad

i am admittedly not the right person to decide how to run the audio / video portion of the conference and now that the fasm conference has gotten some momentum, perhaps we need to form an informal committee to decide how best to do the next one Smile
Post 28 Aug 2007, 11:30
Madis731

I think that taping is not crucial, HDD is enough. With VLC, the scenario would look like:
1) Record video to HDD (VLC or any other software)
2) Read the video from the HDD (or the real-time stream) and push it to some IP-address or alternatively pull it from the relay server when the laptop has got a routed IP.
3) The server will have a VLC on it or alternatively the laptop ITSELF is the server if there's enough HDD/CPU/LAN resources.

Btw, I noticed Feryno having a HDD-recording camera (they usually have 30GB inside or something)...
Post 28 Aug 2007, 12:04
Feryno

yeah, 40 GB exactly
I prepared 22 GB of empty space before the conference. When the conference ended, only 900 MB of disk space was free.
If the conference lasted 15 minutes longer, the end wouldn't be recorded...
Post 28 Aug 2007, 13:45
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
Yardman

[]

Last edited by Yardman on 17 Jan 2012, 18:05; edited 1 time in total
Post 28 Aug 2007, 15:19
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

MazeGen, Madis731, HyperVista, Feryno, Tomasz Grysztar, vid, tom tobias, f0dder.

Last edited by LocoDelAssembly on 28 Aug 2007, 16:23; edited 1 time in total
Post 28 Aug 2007, 15:38
Yardman

[]

Last edited by Yardman on 17 Jan 2012, 18:05; edited 1 time in total
Post 28 Aug 2007, 16:03
MazeGen

I'm MazeGen, not Mazegen Rolling Eyes

Wink Wink
Post 28 Aug 2007, 16:20
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

Razz
Post 28 Aug 2007, 16:24

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: