flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Feedback > About Main section [split]

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
f14t

vid wrote:
please stop postin in Projects thread until you have some project!

Ooooo...kay BOSS !

BUT before tell me where should i post such distress calls...

Where do i post if i really need help ... ?
Post 31 Oct 2006, 08:06
shoorick

here - in Main. vid is right.
Post 31 Oct 2006, 08:11
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tom tobias

Shoorick:
Quote:

here - in Main. vid is right
not in my opinion. This is a question that concerns education, (learning how to use google, or the search engine of FASM,) or general assembly language programming, NOT FASM in particular. Such posts, in the future,
Quote:

Kindly help me with convertion from string to float, double and vice versa....please please please
should be moved to heap, or a new section, devoted to teaching. The MAIN section of FASM ought to be concerned with issues relating to FASM itself.
Post 31 Oct 2006, 09:28
vid
Verbosity in development

well... you are partly right. description of Main should be "of general assembly programming, not releated..." IMHO
Post 31 Oct 2006, 09:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
tom tobias

vid:
Quote:
of general assembly programming, not releated...

new acronym: GASP, general assembly programming.
I am curious, if I had written something that was judged to be
Quote:

partly right
then, it follows that I must also have been partly WRONG. I wonder which component, which sentence, which sentiment, which phrase, which single word, which concept, was INCORRECT? I suppose vid refers to my suggestion that Main, ought to embrace ONLY issues relating to FASM in particular, rather than assembly language programming in general, when he wrote that my post is partly incorrect. Hmm. If so, I think I understand vid's general disagreement with me about computer programming in general. I am not a believer in bottom up programming. I don't like programs that intermix data and instructions, willy nilly, without cogent organization and explanations. I like programs that are RIGIDLY adherent to a model of programming in which ALL data, (including data structures,) is defined FIRST, then all routines are developed, and gathered into a single 'main". I guess vid prefers a more flexible model in which data can suddenly appear, as needed, ad libitum, any old place in any program. Yes, I can appreciate why vid would consider my notion that Main ought to represent ONLY FASM issues, as "incorrect". Yeah, it is much better to dump in whatever is lying around, without segregation. Maybe it is a cultural difference....Some people have the kitchen, bathroom, and living area, all in one space, others partition the living quarters, with doors that permit access as needed. I guess I ought to be happy to learn that I am "partly right.". Now that we have cleared up the mystery of what I may have erroneously communicated, I wonder which component of my previous post was written correctly, i.e. in accord with vid's "open" model, as opposed to my narrow minded, inflexible, unyielding approach, so disliked by the majority of forumers, who treasure their freedom to write anything they want, anyway they wish, with the logical consequence that Main is a repository of whatever, whenever, and however?
Post 31 Oct 2006, 10:38
vid
Verbosity in development

partly right: i meant, not to create new section, as you proposed, but just change description / dedication of Main section. Sorry, i didn't read entire your essay, i am not in mood for that now
Post 31 Oct 2006, 10:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
shoorick

until there is no "general" section the "main" section is preferable to post such topics, keeping in mind also that expecting answer will be done in fasm syntaxis. same about heap - it is concerned to post there topics non-related to asm, thus, part of this topic since 31.10.2006 is matching to heap.
every word manipulation accepted until it is sane.
Post 31 Oct 2006, 10:59
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mattst88

I wish I was a psychologist so I would know how to diagnose tom tobias.
Post 31 Oct 2006, 15:53
vid
Verbosity in development

Feryno is psychiatrist i think... Wink Laughing
Post 31 Oct 2006, 16:09
tom tobias

Quote:

I wish I was a psychologist
correct is: "I wish I WERE a ...." (p.s., I also write and speak with mediocre grammar, not the fault of USA very mediocre public school education, but simply my own laziness....)
Quote:

so I would know how to diagnose tom tobias

(1) assumes that psychiatry is a field of endeavor qualified to diagnose personality disorders....
(incidentally, I have taken and PASSED, such a test, though I confess to having neither respect for, nor faith in, the analytical process employed by psychiatrists.)
(2) assumes that people with opinions different from the majority are "deviant"--hence in need of psychiatric supervision.....
Well, I am therefore deviant, no doubt. I do not accept ANYTHING, simply because the "majority" believes it to be true. Here in USA, MOST American citizens believed Bush's lies about weapons of mass destruction. I was revolted by the apathy both in the citizenry and in the legislative body deliberating war against the people of both Viet Nam, (lies about the Gulf of Tonkin), and Iraq. So, YES, mattst88, you are correct: I am ABNORMAL, DEVIANT, and possess a bona fide personality, quite distinct from the "normal" gun-toting, hell-raising, CIA loving USA citizen. Now, can we move this thread to Heap, where it belonged since the first posting, having nothing at all to do with FASM?
Post 31 Oct 2006, 17:14
vid
Verbosity in development

i will move it at night, when i have time
Post 31 Oct 2006, 18:16
shoorick

tom
i know my post is obusive for you, but it was honest criticism.
esoteric sense you apply to words and letters is more close to kaballa or runic magia, so, it might be interesting if were posted as separate investigation. but when you start to use it to judge posts of other it become to offtopoflamoflood too often, and it is unpleaseant not only to read it, but even to see such posts.
i know you are far not a little boy to teach you, instead, i think you have a lot of experience to share with us, so, please, just increase self-criticism, be more realistic.
Post 01 Nov 2006, 03:55
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

Quote:
Kindly help me with convertion from string to float, double and vice versa....please please please
When I read posts like these I sometimes wonder if they are asking for help with homework.

The recent thread about the bubble sort conversion made me feel the poster needed help to finish his/her homework.

Perhaps we can make a section titled this: "homework, please help me 'cause I'm too lazy to do it myself, thanks, oh and BTW, think of it as a challenge Smile, thanks again"? Okay I know the title is very long, but probably also very accurate in many cases. Wink
Post 01 Nov 2006, 10:44
Reverend

tom tobias, when you correct somebody, please first check if you're not wrong.
http://www.english-international.com/test.html wrote:
6. Which is grammatically correct: I wish I were younger or I wish I was younger?

Older, prescriptive grammar books insist on the use of the subjunctive form were. Most modern, descriptive grammar books accept both were and was as being grammatically acceptable, but they suggest that I wish I were is more appropriate in formal contexts.

BTW. Sorry for offtopic.
Post 01 Nov 2006, 20:46
tom tobias

Concerning "Which is grammatically correct: I wish I were younger or I wish I was younger? "

Reverend:
Quote:
when you correct somebody, please first check if you're not wrong.

http://www.udel.edu/eli/questions/g12.html

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-English-Usage-Michael-Swan/dp/019431197X

http://www.vpu.lt/bibl/elvpu/40496.pdf

http://www.ceafinney.com/subjunctive/excerpts.html

http://www.siu.edu/~dfll/classics/Latin/Content/engsub.html

http://arts.monash.edu.au/ling/staff/allan/assets/speech-acts.html

#76 "The subjunctive environment is the complement of a verb of wishing or wanting, invoking the hypothetical world."

concerning the quote: "Kindly help me with convertion from string to float, double and vice versa...."
Revolution wrote:
Quote:

When I read posts like these I sometimes wonder if they are asking for help with homework. The recent thread about the bubble sort conversion made me feel the poster needed help to finish his/her homework.

Agree!!!
And, this is why I wrote that this entire thread belonged somewhere OTHER than in "main". Thanks vid, for moving, at least part of it, here. Since my suggestion concerned "feedback" on the forum's organization, I think vid has placed the substantive components here in the correct location. With regard to future submissions, appearing to be requests for assistance with homework, as Revolution implied, there should be a mechanism for politely referring such requests to a search engine.
Smile
Post 13 Nov 2006, 23:06
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

I know this is not in the "heap" so I appologise in advance if I am out of line by responding to the English subtopic in this thread. If it is not fitting then please delete if you want. So ...

tom tobias wrote:
Concerning "Which is grammatically correct: I wish I were younger or I wish I was younger? "
<snip>
"The subjunctive environment is the complement of a verb of wishing or wanting, invoking the hypothetical world."
I am confident that you are correct in your assertion, and at the same time I am not saying the other party is wrong either. Because I have always thought of English as not having any real "correct" form. While some uses seem more correct than others, it is also worthwhile to remember that English was not designed by a committee with an official set of specs to follow. Indeed English was designed by the people (all people that use it), and further, it is still being designed today, and most probably will continue to be further designed for a long time to come.

The point being that all the rules are really just approximations of the usual usage. Which is why many English language books disagree with each other. Because they have different views about what is usual.

In many cases, like the above, it is possible to find so-called authorities stating one rule, and a different set of authorities stating the opposite rule. I have not checked for this particular case, but I would not be surprised if I could find something saying the opposite quite easily. For the most part, it comes down to which authority you decide to follow.
Post 14 Nov 2006, 11:47

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: