flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Feedback > Just a thought...

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Niels

I see alot of ones try to learn assembly by writing an OS.

Niels.

ps.
The reason for me to mention this, is that I don't believe the forum-category OS Construction is ment for that purpose.
Post 16 Oct 2006, 20:03
rhyno_dagreat

Niels - If you refer to me, it's not that I don't know assembly. The reason why I ask questions in there is it's just a different "level" of assembly than programming programs for an OS. As I think I have mentioned before, rather that programming using previously made interrupts, you're making the interrupts yourself in it. There's not much info out there on OS Development theories anyways. It's not like I can go into a local bookstore and ask "Do you have a book on operating system development?" Even if I did, people would probably look at me like I'm crazy and think "What the heck is he talking about?"
My point being: It's a rare type of programming with limited resources on it.

Edit: Also, I believe I have learned more about assembler in here, a forum, than anywhere else. I knew the basics of it, if not a little less before I came in here. Now I have a totally new level of understanding. It's a totally different experience of learning than just reading a tutorial, and in my mind a better one. I hope one day to be able to pass my knowledge to others, as I already have tried to get active into other threads than my own in the DOS area and such.
Post 17 Oct 2006, 03:09
Niels

Hello rhyno_dagreat,

My thought is not about 'how difficult or how easy it is to make a good OS', nor if there are any or enough books on this topic, not even how strange people can look, when saying you're making one. Smile

Niels.
Post 17 Oct 2006, 16:00
Niels

Asking questions may be important but understanding the answer is. Smile

Niels.
Post 17 Oct 2006, 16:05

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: