flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Heap > so that revolution won't get lost in translation

Which do you like most?
fiction
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
non-fiction
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
science fiction
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
romance
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
realitivism
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
guignol

Please, feel free to mention in this thread any good translation of any good literature, that you think.
With all metadata of the edition, and original title.
(Also, proven classics may be remembered here, in its original form.)
Post 25 Jul 2019, 20:12
MHajduk

I can mention here excellent editions of renowned classics translated directly to Polish from the original languages published by the Polish publishing house "Ossolineum" ("Zakład Narodowy im. Ossolińskich").

A few positions from series of classics published by "Ossolineum" I have read recently:
  • "Edda poetycka" (Poetic Edda), translated from Old Norse by Apolonia Załuska-Strömberg, Ossolineum, Wrocław 1986,
  • "Eneida" (Aeneid) by Virgil, translated from Latin by T. Karyłowski, Ossolineum, Wrocław 1950,
  • "Zdobycie Meksyku" (Conquest of Mexico), translated by Tadeusz Milewski directly from the Nahuatl original story contained in Codex Florentinus, Ossolineum, Wrocław 1959.
Post 25 Jul 2019, 20:48
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MHajduk

I can recommend here something a bit lighter, another translation of a highly inspiring book by a scientist who was an outstanding biophysicist, worked on the foundations of the chemistry of polymers (scientific research in the field of the optics and spectrography of polymers), a talented writer-popularizer of science.

I mean here a book by a Russian author Mikhail Vladimirovich Volkenshtein (1912-1992) under the title that may be translated as "(At the) crossroads of science paths". That book in a very elegant manner, with use of suggestive yet anyway simple and precise language presents evolution of science from the elementary questions about the nature of light, through laws of thermodynamics, development of periodic table of chemical elements made in 1869 by Dmitri Mendeleev, development of various models of atoms, quantum mechanics, chemistry of polymers to genetics and, finally, inevitable philosophical question of the purpose of life.

The aforementioned book is valuable also from the another point of view. The author many times, in kind of interludes between some chapters, takes readers in a journey through the land of poetry and shows links that bound science with literature. These digressions become understandable if we realize that his wife, Nadezhda Davydovna Volpin, was a famous Russian poetess (by the way, formerly she was in a close relationship with another renowned Russian poet, Sergei Yesenin).

Our forum colleagues living in the countries belonging to the former USSR may read the orginal book in Russian, here are bibliographical data:

Волькенштейн М.В. «Перекрестки науки», Москва, Наука, 1972

I have read this book in translation to Polish, bibliographical data below:

M. W. Wolkensztejn, "Na skrzyżowaniach dróg wiedzy", Biblioteka Problemów, Państwowe Wydawnictwo Naukowe, Warszawa 1975
Post 12 Aug 2019, 20:48
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
macgub

Your post remind me a book written by David Harel "Algorithimcs - the spirit of computing" (or something like that). This book has quotes from Bible (translation by polish priest Jakub Wojek). This another unusual joint of completly various topics (comparing to your example - science and poetry), This book has polish version translated by Zbigniew Weiss and Piotr C. (full name I dont remember) called "Algorytmika o istocie informatyki" by WNT publishing house.
Post 06 Sep 2019, 10:25
guignol

for a short line, what does Zbigniew mean?
Post 06 Sep 2019, 10:36
MHajduk

macgub wrote:
Your post remind me a book written by David Harel "Algorithimcs - the spirit of computing" (or something like that). This book has quotes from Bible (translation by polish priest Jakub Wojek). This another unusual joint of completly various topics (comparing to your example - science and poetry), This book has polish version translated by Zbigniew Weiss and Piotr C. (full name I dont remember) called "Algorytmika o istocie informatyki" by WNT publishing house.
The book you've just mentioned was one of textbooks recommended for IT students (the first year) and I still keep it on my bookshelf. Smile The author of this brilliant work explains all basic concepts of IT and fundamental problems of programming using intuitive and straightforward language.

The complete bibliographic data for the Polish edition are given below:
  • Dawid Harel, "Rzecz o istocie informatyki - algorytmika", tłumaczyli Zbigniew Weiss i Piotr Carlson, Wydawnictwa Naukowo-Techniczne, Warszawa 1992
The bibliographic info for the original book:
  • Algorithmics, The Spirit of Computing, David Harel (The Weitzmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel), © 1987 Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc., Reading, Massachusetts, USA
Post 06 Sep 2019, 20:52
MHajduk

guignol wrote:
for a short line, what does Zbigniew mean?
Zbigniew is a Polish given name which shows (as many other Slavic given names) a very characteristic feature: it consists of two distinctive segments of which the first and the second ones have own meanings describing character or appearance of the person carrying the name. In the pre-Christian past such descriptive names were given during the first haircut which took place between the ages of 7 and 10. In this case the beginning part 'Zbi-' may be translated / explained as an epithet describing that some feature is present in the person character in excess, from the other side, the ending part '-gniew' means that the carrying person easily gets angry. So, one can conclude from what has been written above, that 'Zbigniew' describes an over-irritable male. Wink
Post 06 Sep 2019, 21:24

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: