flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Heap > Are you a sociopath?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
yeohhs

An interesting book: The Sociopath Next Door

Quote:

We are accustomed to think of sociopaths as violent criminals, but in The Sociopath Next Door, Harvard psychologist Martha Stout reveals that a shocking 4 percent of ordinary people—one in twenty-five—has an often undetected mental disorder, the chief symptom of which is that that person possesses no conscience. He or she has no ability whatsoever to feel shame, guilt, or remorse. One in twenty-five everyday Americans, therefore, is secretly a sociopath. They could be your colleague, your neighbor, even family. And they can do literally anything at all and feel absolutely no guilt.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/72536.The_Sociopath_Next_Door
Post 24 Jun 2019, 04:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

Is it really a mental disorder? Or is that just another way of saying they don't like it, or are scared of it?
Post 24 Jun 2019, 04:55
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yeohhs

I believe it's not purely a mental disorder. Human behaviour is too complex. I think it's more like a combination of nature and nurture.

Quote:

A chapter on the etiology of guiltlessness contains some tantalizing questions about the heritability of sociopathy, as well as brief mentions of brain research on sociopathic subjects and arguments about the differences between narcissism and sociopathy, about nature versus nurture -- arguments that can influence our judgment of whether sociopathy should be considered an illness or a crime.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/06/books/review/the-sociopath-next-door-ruthless-people.html
Post 24 Jun 2019, 05:11
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
What duration of displayed behaviours that defined a human sociopaths? Or as long as you some how display that behaviour for a split minutes, then you are part of the group?

yeohhs wrote:

He or she has no ability whatsoever to feel shame, guilt, or remorse.

Or s/he chooses to forget, unfocus or undisturb by those feelings?

We could apply this to meat eater actually, we regardless the killing and slaughtering processes, animal shelter condition and more, then we got MCD or KFC, having delicious chicken drumbsticks.
Post 24 Jun 2019, 05:45
revolution

Yeah, I think that a sociopath is mainly defined by the social environment. It is in the word itself "socio-", meaning social. If you don't follow social norms that you are a sociopath (i.e. differently social).

So while most societies today have defined eating meat as not socially forbidden, that is no guarantee to always be. A future society could decide differently.
Post 24 Jun 2019, 05:52
yeohhs

sleepsleep wrote:

Or s/he chooses to forget, unfocus or undisturb by those feelings?

We could apply this to meat eater actually, we regardless the killing and slaughtering processes, animal shelter condition and more, then we got MCD or KFC, having delicious chicken drumbsticks.

There is also religious conditioning, like Muslims don't eat pork, and Hindus don't eat beef. But the Chinese, they eat all kinds of animals. ha ha.
Post 24 Jun 2019, 06:20
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
Generalization is the root of all verbal conflicts.
Post 24 Jun 2019, 07:48
yeohhs

sleepsleep wrote:
Generalization is the root of all verbal conflicts.

The way I see it, it's intolerance that is the root of all verbal conflicts. Words mean nothing without action. I get the impression that nowadays people are too sensitive. They feel offended so easily.

Damn, maybe I'm a sociopath. ha ha.
Post 24 Jun 2019, 08:05
Furs

A sociopath is made to be that way by society (indirectly in most cases). Traumas or whatever. Basically an experience or more that made them that way.

A psychopath is born that way. Would you actually feel bad for a psychopath? If not, why not? I mean, the guy is born without an important brain function, it's not his fault he was born that way. You feel empathy for a person born without a limb or with a genetic disorder, but somehow people shun psychopaths as monsters.

I mean they technically don't feel remorse but it's not like it's their fault.
Post 24 Jun 2019, 12:48
sleepsleep

“The word is mightier than the sword”

Intolerance is the output of judgement on words, we could actually prevent the possibilities of causing intolerance arise by not declaring generalization statement that most of the time, hardly accurate.

Furs wrote:

I mean they technically don't feel remorse but it's not like it's their fault.

I felt that this is no different from lack of eye sight, hearing, and etc accessibilities.

It just we could detect easier when one is blind, deaf or etc, but

Quote:
Sociopaths are often called psychopaths and vice versa but there are differences between a psychopath and a sociopath. ... And while sociopaths and psychopaths do share some traits, sociopathy (antisocial personality disorder) is generally considered less severe than psychopathy.

Harder to detect and make things harder to comprehend because of invalid expectation.
Post 24 Jun 2019, 16:19
guignol

He or she has no ability whatsoever to feel shame, guilt, or remorse. One in twenty-five everyday Americans, therefore, is secretly a sociopath. They could be your colleague, your neighbor, even family. And they can do literally anything at all and feel absolutely no guilt.
Post 25 Jun 2019, 04:19
bitRAKE

I don't know if you heard, but our local group is in a super void. Sociopath or not, it's the only neighbors we're going to have.

Then again, maybe I'm just a sociopath.
That should be a meme.

Post 25 Jun 2019, 11:17
sleepsleep

I guess one of the sociopath characteristic, never say sorry because every event doesn't bother them, is like there is no need a sorry if the sky is raining today, which is very true from their point of view, I guess.
Post 26 Jun 2019, 10:42
revolution

Saying sorry and actually being sorry? A "good" sociopath will learn to say sorry to appease others and get more things.

I'm sorry, but I just had to post that. Razz
Post 26 Jun 2019, 10:44
sleepsleep

I guess it is then extremely hard to detect, and probably to understand another human.
Post 26 Jun 2019, 10:47
revolution

sleepsleep wrote:
I guess it is then extremely hard to detect, and probably to understand another human.
Especially the clever ones that can say all the right things to fool others.
Post 26 Jun 2019, 10:49
sleepsleep

Quite a statement,
A right thing is something quite hard to define, and more questionable if a clever one would do so,
Post 26 Jun 2019, 10:58
revolution

Well "the right things" would be situation dependant. Basically saying whatever gives the speaker the most advantage. "Right" in the sense of being what the listener wants to hear. And being clever enough to know what to say to each person.
Post 26 Jun 2019, 11:01
sleepsleep

Right is the opposite of left in this case, Laughing

It should alike to pick a number from a pool, 1 to 15, this whole thing is guessing work and gimmick labeling.
Post 26 Jun 2019, 21:55
revolution

Every person has their own idea about what is "right". So if a very clever sociopath can figure out what you think is "right", then all they have to do is say those things to you. Then you will start to like/trust/buy_from them because they are saying the right things.

In many ways sales people and politicians learn these techniques. For some of them is comes naturally, for others it takes a bit of practice.
Post 26 Jun 2019, 23:11

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: