flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > old games

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Ali.Z

Ali.Z

Post 29 Jan 2019, 21:12
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
Several years ago I have myself started hunting on eBay for physical box editions of some of my old favorites. Ones that I played in high school years but never owned an original copy back then. I still have my old DOS machine working - this is why I prefer to buy these physical editions, not some new "digital download" version that are frequently stripped down. I looked at some of releases on GOG, for example, and saw games that did not include a working set of setup tools, making it impossible to change sound card configuration, etc. And I need to be able to change such things when copying game to my real DOS machine. And also, I like being able to switch games configuration from OPL and MPU or vice versa, it is almost like listening to different interpretations of the same music...

Anyway, ever since Internet Archive made its DOS Software Library available, I consider it THE place to go for all those "abandonware" thingies. You can even play them in browser if you do not need any better.
Post 30 Jan 2019, 12:48
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
guignol

guignol
I still miss the sound of a classic modem...
Post 30 Jan 2019, 13:14
Ali.Z

Ali.Z
yes, many digital copies are stripped.

i had couple physical copies, but i got rid of them when i smashed my old dos machine. (approx 7 years ago)

and now im looking for some old hardware to buy as well as some old games to play some of my great games.

anyhow, thanks for sharing that link.

Post 31 Jan 2019, 04:30
rugxulo

rugxulo
Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
I still have my old DOS machine working - this is why I prefer to buy these physical editions, not some new "digital download" version that are frequently stripped down. I looked at some of releases on GOG, for example, and saw games that did not include a working set of setup tools, making it impossible to change sound card configuration, etc. And I need to be able to change such things when copying game to my real DOS machine. And also, I like being able to switch games configuration from OPL and MPU or vice versa, it is almost like listening to different interpretations of the same music...

I'm late to reply, but ... for one specific game (Blackthorne), I mentioned what I did: basically grabbed a SETUP.EXE from the demo/shareware version and used that (with a slightly renamed file). Yes, it's a flaw to not have a setup program included, and yes, it should be plain text or some human readable format or interface instead of hidden hex binary settings, but alas ....
Post 05 Apr 2019, 20:47
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yeohhs

yeohhs
If you love retro video games, this site is for you. Smile https://www.emuparadise.me/
Post 04 Jun 2019, 10:10
Ali.Z

Ali.Z
yeohhs wrote:
If you love retro video games, this site is for you. Smile https://www.emuparadise.me/

as of 2018 emu paradise no longer providing download link, that's because nintendo is fighting them.

Post 08 Jun 2019, 05:20
yeohhs

yeohhs
Quote:

as of 2018 emu paradise no longer providing download link, that's because nintendo is fighting them.

Damn! Crying or Very sad
Post 08 Jun 2019, 11:49
pool

pool
Post 09 Jun 2019, 04:55

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: