flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Heap > A simple mathemagical trick for interested ones.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
tthsqe

OK. It is time for a serious problem. Prove this:
Code:
For all real numbers a>-7/8, there is an integer N(a) such that,
for all integers n>N(a), the coefficients of the polynomial
(x^4 + x^3 + a*x^2 + x + 1)^n
are all non negative.    
Post 21 Jan 2016, 22:40
tthsqe

In case that is too difficult, here is a generalization.
Code:
For all pairs of real numbers a, b  with
            max(0, 4 - b)
b > 0,  a > -------------- - 2
there is an integer N(a,b) such that, 
for all integers n>N(a,b), the coefficients of the polynomial 
(x^4 + b*x^3 + a*x^2 + b*x + 1)^n 
are all non negative.    
Post 22 Jan 2016, 01:26
MHajduk

tthsqe wrote:
MHajduk,
Why don't you put my problem (on the other thread) on a vase or another nice presentation?
I would also be nice if you write the solution on a vase as well.
I have made a 3D picture for you - although your problem isn't placed on a vase I think you may like the idea of placing it on the pages of a book.

The book model was made using a few dozen of Bezier curves, each for every single page, the liner and the book cover. Despite of the fact of doubles removal, recalculation of normals the entire render time exceeded 2 hours and 47 minutes. I think I have pushed my machine to the limits and I see that for truly good 3D modelling I should buy something more proper than my current laptop.

Detailed view:
Post 28 Jan 2016, 22:48
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MHajduk

Referring to the problem itself, I am almost sure that it is absolutely non-trivial thing. Seems that you have been somehow inspired by a paper written by Colleen Ackermann and John d'Angelo from Univeristy of Illinois (http://www.math.illinois.edu/REGS/reports11/ackermann.pdf). Interesting, do you know the proof of the implication from Property 2 to Property 1. It is not explained there, nor they have given a proof there.

I can understand the implication from the Property 1 to Property 2 and even equivalence between Theorem 2 and Property 2 for p(x) = x^4 + b*x^3 + a*x^2 + b*x + 1 but here you ask about implication Property 2 => Property 1 which is "nearly true" for the mentioned authors. Is the answer so straightforward that they even didn't want to sketch a simple proof or maybe such proof doesn't exist (yet)?
Post 28 Jan 2016, 23:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tthsqe

Im glad you found a reference for this! I was let to the generalization through some numerical testing and a heuristic argument - seems that the paper has the same conclusion. Will look into this further.
Post 29 Jan 2016, 03:17
Picnic

Lovely models MHajduk, i like your Ptolemy's theorem disc. Such drawings could decorate instructional textbooks pages. May i ask what modeling software you are using?
Post 29 Jan 2016, 10:45
MHajduk

Picnic wrote:
May i ask what modeling software you are using?
Blender, a freeware for 3D modelling. Very good, but its user interface looks a bit "exotic" at first glance. Many unusual hot-keys and work modes. Anyway it's a very good software for such a purpose. Smile
Post 29 Jan 2016, 12:57
Picnic

Yes, it does look somewhat complicated at first glance. I think i have to upgrade my hardware first. Rolling Eyes
Post 30 Jan 2016, 06:58
YONG

I came across this interesting geometry problem today.

A right triangle has a hypotenuse equal to 10 and an altitude to the hypotenuse equal to 6. What is the area of the triangle?

Wink
Post 30 Aug 2016, 04:46
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

YONG wrote:
I came across this interesting geometry problem today.

A right triangle has a hypotenuse equal to 10 and an altitude to the hypotenuse equal to 6. What is the area of the triangle?
Seems too easy, what is the catch?

6 * (10^2 - 6^2)^(1/2) / 2 = 24 units square
Post 30 Aug 2016, 05:46
YONG

You seem to have misunderstood the meaning of "an altitude to the hypotenuse equal to 6".

It means if we treat the hypotenuse as the base of the triangle, the altitude of the triangle is 6.

Now, just find the area.

Wink
Post 30 Aug 2016, 06:43
revolution

Are you sure that is possible? A circle of diameter 10 can't fit a right triangle of more than 5 units height.

Maybe I misunderstand something again.
Post 30 Aug 2016, 06:55
YONG

You are smart!

Correct answer: Such a right triangle does not exist.

Wink
Post 30 Aug 2016, 07:28
shoorick

kinda area of triangle with sides 8, 12 and 4
Post 30 Aug 2016, 17:56
YONG

shoorick wrote:
kinda area of triangle with sides 8, 12 and 4
Yeah, the triangle inequality dictates that the sum of any two sides must be greater than the remaining side.

Wink
Post 31 Aug 2016, 02:57
YONG

Here is another tricky question:

Consider two circles P & Q.

The radius of P is 1/5 the radius of Q.

P rolls, without slipping, around Q one trip, and returns to its starting position.

How many cycles does P revolve in total?

Wink
Post 31 Aug 2016, 03:05
revolution

YONG wrote:
Here is another tricky question:

Consider two circles P & Q.

The radius of P is 1/5 the radius of Q.

P rolls, without slipping, around Q one trip, and returns to its starting position.

How many cycles does P revolve in total?
This is similar to the Venusian year. Many people get it wrong the first time but once the error is seen they always get it right afterwards.
Post 31 Aug 2016, 04:19
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
https://www.quantamagazine.org/mathematicians-discover-the-perfect-way-to-multiply-20190411/

Perfect way to multiply, why it works, kinda amazing if we could see through the logic of this perfect way.
Post 12 Apr 2019, 13:48

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: