flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Feedback > Inconsistent naming for files in Download section

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
al_Fazline

I'm not sure if this is the correct subforum for this subject, but I have noticed that naming of download files for different architectures is wildly inconsistent:

I think, that downloads should be named in such a way that you can identify what you have downloaded. So I suggest, that all downloads should have consistent naming, such as:
Quote:
fasm-windows-1.73.04.zip
fasm-dos-1.73.04.zip
fasm-linux-1.73.04.tar.gz
fasm-unix-1.73.04.tar.gz
fasmg-i386-ibh5n.tar.gz

Also, for consistency reasons, it makes sense to put all files in archive so that they are under a directory inside with same name as archive name, sans extension (for example if you unpack windows version with unzip fasm-windows-*.zip, you should get just one directory fasm-windows-1.73.04/ with all files underneath it)

I have also downloaded all those files and compared them. It seems that linux and unix versions are essentially same except that unix version provides fasm.o object file, which can probably work on a linux system as well. Maybe it makes sense to have those two as single download rather than different download?

I have further compared those with windows download, and it seems to be the richest one, as it also contains fasm.pdf. Does it mean that only windows users can benefit from PDF version of documentation?

Another difference is that Windows and DOS fasm.txt uses fancy pseudo-graphics for drawing tables but it's encoded in legacy encoding, while unix and linux use plain ascii file. Maybe it makes sense to use UTF-8 instead for everything but DOS (or perhaps for DOS as well, if fasmd supports it)

Also, line terminators in source are different. I didn't try fasmw/fasmd, but most text editors can handle \n line endings just fine, so maybe it makes sense to use them in fasm source code, even in windows package?

So, is there really a necessity to provide fasm for various platforms as separate archives, if they can be unified? Or maybe, a new download with everything from all packages combined should be provided, along with separate platform-based downloads?

End even if there is why not to split files in more logical way or at least use more consistent naming?
Post 24 Oct 2018, 16:36
rugxulo

al_Fazline wrote:

I have also downloaded all those files and compared them. It seems that linux and unix versions are essentially same except that unix version provides fasm.o object file, which can probably work on a linux system as well. Maybe it makes sense to have those two as single download rather than different download?

IIRC, years ago he used to offer a separate download for the Windows console version (see here). Combining them was probably for easier maintenance overall.

However, some systems like Linux and "UNIX" are quite different overall and probably shouldn't be combined. (IIRC, the Linux port doesn't need a linker to rebuild and has some system-specific macros.) Honestly, it's very naive to pretend that Linux is the only true portable *nix or that nothing else diverges. Linux is obviously very good, but it's not always the gold standard (usually).

In the old days, DOS and Windows would be considered almost the same system, so those would be combined, which would of course be a mistake nowadays (since even 32-bit Windows is buggy and rare, esp. re: DOS compatibility). Heck, I think FASM used to briefly combine DOS and Windows binaries into one, which most people don't anymore (wasted useless stub). It might even be a mistake to combine Win32 and Win64. Even lumping together things like 386 and 686 might be a mistake. Even assuming English is universal (despite dialects) is probably naive.

But ten thousand separate files just to keep things isolated properly is a maintenance nightmare. Then again, Firefox offers separate downloads for en-CA, en-GB, en-US, en-ZA (and similarly es-AR, es-CL, es-ES, es-MX or pt-BR, pt-PT or zh-CN, zh-TW). But some like VirtualBox (and WinZip?) nowadays only offer combined 32-bit and 64-bit downloads (which wastes space and bandwidth but whatever). 50 MB vs. 100 MB, does anyone care anymore? Shouldn't they? Argh.

al_Fazline wrote:

Also, line terminators in source are different. I didn't try fasmw/fasmd, but most text editors can handle \n line endings just fine, so maybe it makes sense to use them in fasm source code, even in windows package?

That's mostly true (except Notepad, but even that may be fixed eventually). Still, the "native" file type on Windows always has CR+LF. So it's probably best to stick to what is default. Then again, (Info-Zip) "unzip" (-a) and similar third-party tools (dos2unix, unix2dos) make it less of an issue since you can manually convert, if needed.

al_Fazline wrote:

So, is there really a necessity to provide fasm for various platforms as separate archives, if they can be unified? Or maybe, a new download with everything from all packages combined should be provided, along with separate platform-based downloads?

"A new download with everything ... combined" isn't much simpler. Just manually download the various files, and then "zip -m ~/flat_assembler_17304 /tmp/fasm*.zip".

al_Fazline wrote:

End even if there is why not to split files in more logical way or at least use more consistent naming?

Too much tedious maintenance and not enough time (or motivation), probably. You may have some fair point in there somewhere, but overall it's too much to expect from such a small team (army of one!).
Post 03 Nov 2018, 12:03
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: