flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Heap > Why do YOU love assembly?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Furs

rugxulo wrote:
Maybe some things are too easy, too obvious, for some of you. Or maybe it's not relevant or important enough for your projects. I'm just saying, in general, it can be very overwhelming and complicated, even for simple commandline userland apps that don't do any heavy lifting. Don't overestimate how "simple" it truly is. We have to strive for greater simplicity because everything is already brittle, and there's only so much a novice can handle. Not everyone is an engineer who can dynamically patch their kernel, rebuild world from scratch, or solder a board.
Or maybe people should stop thinking developing software should be much more "accessible" than developing hardware.

I'm sure there's many things that a hardware EE engineer considers "simple" that I will never understand properly. But I don't expect to tone down and trivialize his work just so a street kid can understand hardware development.

Yet it's what people expect out of software. asm is special maybe because of this reason: it's not so "simple" without the right mindset and experience, and that's good.

BTW many of your questions apply to HLLs too Wink (unless you think one of those "developers" that plug in a few prebuilt library calls together makes him a "programmer").
Post 21 Aug 2018, 14:37
praddo

Furs wrote:
one of those "developers" that plug in a few prebuilt library calls together makes him a "programmer"

Need to remember this phrase! Clearly describes the situation in modern software development.
Post 23 Aug 2018, 13:38
rugxulo

Dr. Niklaus Wirth is a retired teacher, a compiler expert, plus electrical engineer with a PhD. I'm just saying, he's paid his dues. Oberon-07 is simpler than either Pascal or Modula-2 but equally (or more?) powerful, by design. So he has kept the report small, and even the EBNF is small. What I was implying (but omitted) from my previous posts was his favorite quote, which is included at the top of the report: "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler. (A. Einstein)". (See? Even geniuses demand simplicity.) So it's an important virtue for us all. While you may disagree with some of his ideas or inventions, certainly we can still learn a lot from his life's work.
Post 24 Aug 2018, 02:49
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vivik

I was told that all cool kids know assembly.

And it's the only language that allows you to write 4kb exe on windows. Even C adds some weird stuff inside your programs, though it's possible to remove.

Also it's kind of required when making a compiler, and for me it's a step to making a game. I want to change game logic from the in-game text editor without any delays, and without being tied up to lua or python.

I actually kinda hate assembly. Yet it's the way to writing the best possible programs, and I'm interested in that.
Post 30 Aug 2018, 19:57

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: