flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Heap > How fast do you program?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vivik

Do you make pauses, or you work for 8 hours straight?
Post 24 Apr 2018, 18:24
rugxulo

Do you assume most people here are professionals? Sure, those kinds probably do work 8+ hours (minus one for lunch). Or much more (forced unpaid overtime)??
Post 25 Apr 2018, 01:02
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

vivik wrote:
I'm not sure that anyone can work eight hours straight on anything and still maintain clear focus and be productive. Humans just can't be effective without scheduling regular breaks.

If you are working for such long periods without a break then I suggest that if you take regular breaks you will actually produce more and better code overall.

Take it easy. There is more to life than coding.
Post 25 Apr 2018, 15:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DimonSoft

For me it depends. I guess, I can spend like three or four hours in a row without breaks and without losing efficiency (at least in rare cases I manage to take such piece of time I don’t feel significant performance degradation). But every so often something makes me break earlier than that, so it’s more like a rarely achievable maximum.

The average for me is about 30 minutes to one hour, I guess. Makes me pay more attention to program architecture so that I don’t lose track of it later with all these breaks.

Should we also talk about the percentage of the code written that survives till the release? Smile
Post 26 Apr 2018, 20:35
Picnic

Not fast at all at my 47 years. i am coding 2-4 hours total on weekends only and this is it. In recent years i tried to change my way of life. I'm doing sports almost every day, i would like to pass this philosophy to my kids. So i had to sacrifice some coding time.
Post 27 Apr 2018, 08:41
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

In my case most of the work, or at least the most important part, is not happening at the computer. I tend to sit down to write code only when I have a quite good idea of the algorithms and data structures that I plan to utilize, and designing them is sometimes a long process that involves a lot of walking and thinking. The best ideas often come to me during the long walks outdoors, though sometimes when I focus on a complex project (like it was with fasmg) I keep thinking about it even in bed. This occasionally led to me getting up in a middle of the night to quickly code and test a fresh idea.

On the other hand, when it comes to debugging, for me it can take many hours at the terminal, non-stop. It is rare that a bug is so nasty that I need more than, say, two hours to hunt it down and fix it, but a few times it happened and I was so foolishly stubborn that I continued for several hours without a pause. I do not recommend that though. Wink
Post 27 Apr 2018, 21:44
Furs

vivik wrote:
https://xkcd.com/303/ Wink
Post 28 Apr 2018, 23:10
Coty

I don't program for a living, when I have it's been some form of free-lance work. I've never been pressured to code for 8 hours straight. I might sit at my computer for ~16 hours some days between eating, using the bathroom and stepping out for a smoke, maybe taking a walk or something. But generally within those 16 hours I may only spend about 2 hours writing with about 2 reading it.

Although, there have been times that I have spent an excess of a day non-stop writing code because my mind was just on a roll. I once wrote some software after 21 hours of "non-stop" writing. But even then, I always try to get up and at-least walk around the house a little bit every-other hour or so.
Post 29 Apr 2018, 15:03
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
nyrtzi

vivik wrote:

Too old for marathons like that considering the shape I'm in. Too much sugar in both solid and liquid form and too little exercise throughout the years. I should get a standing desk and walk while thinking.

Taking breaks ain't a problem. At work I'm constantly getting interrupted anyway and I've noticed that at home I constantly keep interrupting myself by playing interesting lectures and other videos in the background unless I'm doing something I really need to concentrate on.
Post 30 Apr 2018, 22:10

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: