flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Heap > windows 7 network administration books?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vivik

There are so many little windows on windows7, I have no idea what I'm doing. Need to understand why that one printer isn't working.

I need some book about administration of windows computers. It's so different from programming, I'm totally lost. I shouldn't try getting this job, it's very different from what I can do.

Are printers accessed by ip, or by server message block address?
Post 06 Apr 2018, 08:23
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
one could access the shared printer by ip address or simply pc name,
if printer is to be shared with Windows xp pc, make sure the security bit ness is set to low, 40 or 50 like that,

then if there are windows 10 pc around, they will try to use home group, but this feature isn't available in xp,

you could put the remote pc id and password, for shared printer in control panel windows credential,

this job is fun, once you get the idea, it becomes easier to fix, trust me, it isn't any harder than programming,Laughing
Post 06 Apr 2018, 10:38
vivik

If I opened a list of network computers, what can I see about one of them? For example, how can I see the ip address of "\\some server" ?

If I double click one of those computers, and then double click one of the printers, what is supposed to happen? Driver for that printer will be downloaded and installed from that computer to the current one? And what if that machine has 32bit processor, and your is 64bit, will it install wrong drivers?

I probably should annoy techsupport with these questions instead...
Post 06 Apr 2018, 18:48
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
vivik wrote:
how can I see the ip address of "\\some server" ?

to get ip address for any pc, \\pcname

ping pcname

but remember, some pc disallow echo back, so you get no reply

vivik wrote:

If I double click one of those computers, and then double click one of the printers, what is supposed to happen?

the printer supposes to get installed into your pc, depend on what version of windows, basically the newer version will try download the driver from internet and set up the whole thing by itself,

xp, vista, and 7, will most likely require manual driver installation, which is actually more easy, just go to respective printer brand website, www.hp.com www.canon.com and download their driver from support section, and choose what os the client is using, 32 or 64 etc,

vivik wrote:

And what if that machine has 32bit processor, and your is 64bit, will it install wrong drivers?

most likely, the server is using 64bit, and the client is 32bit, then the device wouldnt get install (assume admin didnt install both 32 and 64 bit driver in server)
the solution is same as above, we do it manually, (trust me, it is actually easier and clearer to do it manually that letting windows perform this kinda thing)

extra:
there usually 2 kinds of network printer, the one standalone, photocopier, usually have its own ip and cable,

another type is shared by pc that connect to it

the photocopier one, go to control panel, device and printer, add printer, network printer, put the ip address of that photocopier (go to the photocopier and system, interface, network) then you could see what ip the photocopier is using,

the shared printer, go to control panel, device and printer, add printer, can try select shared printer by name, if not working try add local printer, give it whatever port, LPT1, or LPT2, or LPT3 or etc, it doesnt matter, then install the driver using have disk (extract the downloaded driver, usually inf file, and put the path into have disk, windows will shows the device and you pick what is correct)

after that, go to \\thepcname and double click the printer, it should connects and add itself into your device printer, because we already provide the driver manually, later you could delete the LPT1 printer that you created just now,
Post 06 Apr 2018, 19:21
vivik

If printer is connected through usb, should I still set LPT1 for it?

Tried actually installing the driver manually, somehow it didn't work. Didn't write down the exact error.
Post 06 Apr 2018, 20:33
sleepsleep

the reason for setting it to lpt or other port is to pre-install the printer driver, after that only you plug in the USB, it will install automatically,
Post 07 Apr 2018, 06:22

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: