flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > Windows 10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
YONG

Just finished updating my Windows laptop.

The process was like a never-ending nightmare.

I started Windows Update at around 8:45 a.m. It finally ended at around 4:45 p.m.

Note that my laptop is quite speedy -- Core i3, 16GB of RAM, Wireless ac (2x2). The only bottleneck is the 500GB HDD.

Updating to Version 1703 kept having errors. I had to retry, look for online help, retry, look for online help again, and retry.

Of course, after the update, some default settings are gone, such as those in "Default apps".

Sigh!

Mad

Last edited by YONG on 05 Aug 2017, 13:17; edited 1 time in total
Post 04 Aug 2017, 09:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs

And then this gets passed down as a "Windows joke" or "Windows meme" (like BSOD etc).

Meanwhile if something similar happens on Linux, you get serious answers like "I don't have time to fight with the OS" or "Linux is not user-friendly" or "Linux has too many problems you have to look online to solve".

Wink

(speaking in general obviously, this is what you fill find anywhere online; not aiming it at revolution)
Post 04 Aug 2017, 11:19
YONG

Furs wrote:
Meanwhile if something similar happens on Linux, you get serious answers like ...

I have been using GalliumOS for almost 9 months. The OS also has an auto-update feature, which prompts me whenever OS/application updates are available. If I choose to install such updates, the feature will inform me of the exact amount of additional space needed and ask for my final approval. The update process usually takes less than 1 minute. And the worst cases are like 5 minutes or so. So far, I have encountered just ONE incident of update error.

Wink
Post 04 Aug 2017, 12:22
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699

YONG wrote:

Updating to Version 1703 kept having errors. I had to retry, look for online help, retry, look for online help again, and retry.

welcome to creators update, cortana will now start eavesdropping whatever sound near your laptop Wink

update is compulsory now, Wink
Post 04 Aug 2017, 12:28
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
update is compulsory now, Wink

No big deal for me. My Windows laptop stays offline most of the time. I update it once every two months or so.

Wink
Post 04 Aug 2017, 12:35
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

Windows 10 - the OS only for popular things.

https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/23545/improving-features-the-microsoft-way

So if you like some new feature in Windows 10 then you had better convince lots of other people to use it also else it will disappear. And if you turned off telemetry then you don't count. So always keep your telemetry turned up to maximum and ensure that the things you like don't suddenly disappear.
Post 08 Aug 2017, 15:36
revolution

Furs wrote:
And then this gets passed down as a "Windows joke" or "Windows meme" (like BSOD etc).

Meanwhile if something similar happens on Linux, you get serious answers like "I don't have time to fight with the OS" or "Linux is not user-friendly" or "Linux has too many problems you have to look online to solve".

So now we can start making a new meme: Windows 10 becoming more like Linux everyday. You need a doctorate in computering just to update it.
Post 08 Aug 2017, 15:39
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
i have major issues with windows 10, if microsoft somehow fixed these, i will surely use and recommend windows 10 to my grandsons,

1. privacy, telemetry, when i say no, don't want, turn off, it means what it means, when i choose i don't want to participate, disable telemetry, it should then works according to what i decided,

2. when i say i don't want windows store, or all those free aps, it means, i don't want, don't push and force those apps to me,

3. why push features updates, why disallow general consumers to get genuine ltsb windows 10?

4. all kinds of push, force, you must update etc, is bully, not much different from what terrorists did, period.

5. bill gates should try using a cheap laptop, without ssd, with windows 10, and try experience what those general consumers experienced, with 1mb internet bandwidth, with monthly 10gb quota, (you will definitely say f. u windows 10)

6. fyi, your initial win10 updates will cause user internet un-usable, it hooks up all the bandwidth for updates purpose, please allow us to set windows update download speed limit, period, (this is so obvious and so common sense)

7. look at the settings page, what is the standard way, standard gui practice to settings?

8. "please don't turn off your computer" and the laptop/pc is un-usable for minutes, hours, should os update locked down everything? it shouldn't be like this, i should be able to browse internet while my windows 10 is updating itself,

9. go to page 1 and read until you reach this page again, Embarassed

https://twitter.com/BillGates
https://twitter.com/Microsoft
https://twitter.com/Windows
Post 09 Aug 2017, 22:51
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
... i will surely ... recommend windows 10 to my grandsons,

Didn't know that you have a son or daughter. Are you certain that you will have grandchildren?

Wink
Post 10 Aug 2017, 04:03
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
8. "please don't turn off your computer" and the laptop/pc is un-usable for minutes, hours, should os update locked down everything? it shouldn't be like this, i should be able to browse internet while my windows 10 is updating itself

Haha ... One of the most annoying things of Windows Update is the "Please don't turn off your computer" screen. As it gives no indication of progress, the user can't even tell whether the update is making progress or it is just another computer freeze. Poor software design!

On ChromeOS and GalliumOS, the auto-update is pretty fast and done in the background.

Wink
Post 10 Aug 2017, 04:13
sleepsleep

YONG wrote:

Haha ... One of the most annoying things of Windows Update is the "Please don't turn off your computer" screen. As it gives no indication of progress, the user can't even tell whether the update is making progress or it is just another computer freeze. Poor software design!

after 1703 creators update, you would see progress percentage during that "please don't turn off your computer", before creators update, no indication of progress, which is crazy, because those who sign off at 5pm and 9am need to wait for unknown minutes to hours before you could go back home or start their work,

i still believe, there are better, smarter and more efficient ways to update users' windows 10,

YONG wrote:

Didn't know that you have a son or daughter. Are you certain that you will have grandchildren?

on the way, eta so far is unknown, Wink
Post 10 Aug 2017, 09:08
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
after 1703 creators update, you would see progress percentage during that "please don't turn off your computer"

I will not be updating my Windows laptop till October. Hope that the progress % actually shows up then.

Wink
Post 10 Aug 2017, 10:41
revolution

Windows 10 is very authoritarian these days. You will do as it says, resistance is futile, be a good citizen and allow Win10 to control your actions. Always buy the stuff they advertise to you so that you can keep Win10 in profit.
Post 11 Aug 2017, 03:41
Furs

I don't know if authoritarian is the right word for it. After all, you chose it as your OS, so it can do whatever it wants as long as you have a choice to not use it or uninstall it Wink

(if work forces you to use it, then your boss or manager or whoever is responsible is the one authoritarian at the workplace, not the OS)
Post 11 Aug 2017, 11:12
sleepsleep

like the way how nature forces us to survive under oxygen, Wink

what kind of force is allowable,
and what kind of force became bully?
and what kind of line that actually separate them?

i guess anything that i said i don't want but you still keep on pushing to me is equal to bully

the product itself in this case, is obviously a gangster product that pushing and bullying consumers into their submission,

even if we discarded the role of boss or manager, the os is still a f.crazy piece of gangster,
regardless you use it willingly or unwillingly, you get bullied the moment you start using it,

let say there is only one kind of knife on earth, the moment you use it, the knife will cut you first then only it cuts whatever you want it to cuts, Laughing

there are still issue on the knife regardless you use the knife or not,
Post 11 Aug 2017, 21:01
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
like the way how nature forces us to survive under oxygen, Wink

Nope. I believe that it was the other way around -- the earliest life-forms on Earth released a huge amount of oxygen to the ancient atmosphere.

"The early atmosphere was probably mostly carbon dioxide with little or no oxygen."

Refer to:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/aqa/earth/earthsatmosphererev3.shtml

Wink
Post 12 Aug 2017, 01:53
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
i guess anything that i said i don't want but you still keep on pushing to me is equal to bully

Exactly! That perfectly applies to one of the mods, who keeps tricking other forum members despite the fact that I have repeatedly pointed out his/her wrongdoing. Refer to:

https://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?p=198669#198669

Confused
Post 12 Aug 2017, 01:58
revolution

Furs wrote:
I don't know if authoritarian is the right word for it. After all, you chose it as your OS, so it can do whatever it wants as long as you have a choice to not use it or uninstall it Wink

(if work forces you to use it, then your boss or manager or whoever is responsible is the one authoritarian at the workplace, not the OS)

For most people there is no meaningful choice. MS knows this so they can do whatever they want and people will still use it. My workplace requires the use of Win10 because our customers use Win10. We also have no meaningful choice. And our customers have no meaningful choice either when their applications are only available for Windows. Application developers also have no meaningful choice if they want to sell their work and be able to eat. MS doesn't support older versions the the OS so Win10 is the only choice available. So it all points to no choice. Sad
Post 12 Aug 2017, 06:11
sleepsleep

https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.my/2017/10/using-binary-diffing-to-discover.html
Using Binary Diffing to Discover Windows Kernel Memory Disclosure Bugs

leaving no chance to survive in previous old operating system, Wink

welcome windows 10, shits is growing big, Laughing
Post 08 Oct 2017, 03:03

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: