flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > Your wild ideas about 128-bit computing

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
system error

Your wild ideas about 128-bit computing

If 32-bit computing has been proven good enough for most purposes, I say 64-bit computing is the perfect bit-ness that can cater to most human computing needs for the next millenia up to Pluto (and beyond).

But how about 128-bit computing?

Is it really necessary?
What would happen to the GPRs? What would be their names? WAX, WDX? Will they be phased out in favor of SSE registers?
What would happen to the x86 architecture? Will IBM becomes king again?
Should be backward compatible or not?
What could be the costs in general?
What kind of floating point maths would that be?
Is it smart to invest in AVX2 if people are already talking about 128-bit CPUs?

Share your thoughts and wild imaginations here. The one with the most brilliant 'imagination' will be given lifetime FASM board membership for FREE!

Hurry up!! Very Happy
Post 30 Jun 2017, 16:56
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699

i would take the 16bit, 32bit, 64bit as chunk block of bits to process in one time, apart from the idea of memory addressing,

i don't know exactly how intel processor in nanometer sized object did all those magics,

but does having more memories equal good and solid solution for future? 128gb ddr4, 1tb ddr4, etc?

or the bottle neck is in the part, accepting input, sudden input, and processing those inputs?
assume you got a program with 10 million lines,
you change a few input parameters, and now you need to re-run from line 1 to 10 million lines to get the intended result,

this seem like a problem to me, at this moment,

the way we program, writing codes, sending commands, seems like a problem to me too,

got to wake up earlier tomorrow, later, Wink
Post 30 Jun 2017, 17:36
Furs

I'd prefer some sort of programmable CPU or neural network CPU, or a CPU with a massive amount of cores, but each having its own RAM. I mean it wouldn't be like these we have, they'd be separated for their own tasks and only merged together once (cleaner design in my opinion) with a memory map or something. This way pointers can stay small, so each CPU will have high performance. 128-bit would use 16 bytes per pointer, that's an entire cache line.

However this CPU would have complex instructions optimized for particular situations not stupid RISC-like, well it's still a dream ofc, since the thread isn't serious Wink

I guess we'll see some more weird stuff since CPUs are almost at their limit now (10nm currently, so only 2 generations more max before quantum limit, we'll need a redesign of the hardware, totally).
Post 30 Jun 2017, 21:25
pabloreda

hey furs, look at greenarrays chips, http://www.greenarraychips.com/
Post 30 Jun 2017, 22:12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs

That's cool, first time I hear of it, "multi computer chip" sounds like what I've been saying. Smile

Though I don't expect them to be programmable, probably that isn't feasible at all in terms of technical problems/physics while still retaining performance (just a dream of mine ofc).

(when I say programmable I don't mean a sequence of instructions, I mean like "programming" your own instructions with meta-instructions; this would be really cool for special purpose applications, it may take a performance hit when the app starts as it has to flush and the CPU "optimize" the instructions being programmed, but then it should be super fast ofc, that's my dream anyway, even if unrealistic Wink)
Post 01 Jul 2017, 10:37
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

FPGAs. With those you can make your own CPU(s) on the fly. I've even seen CPLDs also used to make custom CPUs.
Post 01 Jul 2017, 11:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs

Hmm I always thought FPGAs can be programmed with a lot of time/overhead in advance, I'm thinking something more like actual CPU "meta-instructions" programming itself for each application. (I mean yeah it will take a hit but even 1 second is a stretch, if that, and that's nothing)

(it would be separated for each application since it's supposed to be like the greenarrays chips with each being a separated "computer")
Post 01 Jul 2017, 12:31
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

FPGAs use internal RAM to hold the programming for the logic gates. And the RAM can be changed at will, thus the logic connections can be changed at will. The overhead comes from deciding what are the proper binary bits to put into the RAM. You can buy IP for 6502, 8051, Z80 etc., or if you are keen you can DIY anything you fancy.
Post 01 Jul 2017, 12:37
system error

Nothing conclusive so far. Looks like we're stuck with 64-bit ness for quite a while.
Post 02 Jul 2017, 07:30

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: