flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > Cassini's Crash into Saturn in September

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Furs

Cassini's Crash into Saturn in September
I hope most of you are aware of this, but if not, see: https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/grand-finale/overview/

Now I just want to say I'm excited but not because of the normal science babbling. You know what intrigues me? Gas giants. They're just cool and mysterious because they're not like the Earth. I couldn't care less about a human colony or anything, I just want to see/explore for real from close-up those gas giants. By closeup I mean from "inside" their atmosphere!

Mars is boring, it's too much like the Earth and has no atmosphere (?). Blah.

I know the spacecraft probably can't even record videos, and if it could they'd probably not release them... which is a shame, but I made this thread cause I want to confess I'd love to see a real video of something descending into a gas giant, and surviving as much as possible while descending. Imagine how weird must it look when it's so far away from Earth and so huge of a planet. It would be such an epic video because it's real and yet so weird.

No I don't want an "artist rendition" I want the real thing. Sad

I want a video of a very sturdy spacecraft descending into a gas giant capturing all the details with a 360° camera at 30+ FPS Cool
Post 27 Apr 2017, 14:39
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

Hehe, I don't know what you expect to see in a video (even assuming there is some magical way to stream "360° camera at 30+ FPS" from such a distance). I don't think the atmosphere is transparent, BTW. Kind of like filming a smoke filled room but without any walls or objects to actually see, just a featureless bland view.

You do know that this is not the first time a probe has been plunged into a gas planet, right?
Post 27 Apr 2017, 14:54
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs

I'm not really familiar with streaming, but why would the distance matter? Obviously it would be a one-way connection. Even so, they can obviously record (and do already) in multiple (non visible) wavelengths, there's got to be at least something interesting/cool there. Razz

Btw I wasn't aware there were other plunging that actually took pictures from up close, please link if you know cool ones Wink
Post 27 Apr 2017, 21:51
revolution

The distance is many hundreds of millions of km (miles), There is no way that a full streaming bandwidth could be achieved using today's technology. It is already hard enough to get still images. You'd need a GW transmitter and a huge high gain dish continuously pointed precisely at Planet Dirt to get such a bandwidth.

No pictures from up close have been taken from a previous plunge. It just isn't possible to get the pictures back to Planet Dirt while the probe is falling in. Only very low bandwidth signals can be captured and sent back; temperature, pressure, etc., not images.
Post 28 Apr 2017, 01:41
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs

Hmm I thought Space is a vacuum so signals should travel just fine without loss; or are you saying they can't point it accurately enough at Earth? (obviously the further it is the more difficult this becomes since it has to be much more precise)

Of course I fully understand from within the atmosphere is way more difficult due to interference though, it's just a wish I have, not exactly feasible right now Sad (that's assuming the hypothetical spacecraft even survives and doesn't burn up before it even reaches the "clouds"; it would be so cool for me to see beyond the clouds of a Gas Giant, I wonder what kind of "features" it has Cool)
Post 28 Apr 2017, 12:00
revolution

Sure, space is a vacuum (mostly), but the EM signals spread out as they travel. After a few hundred million km they arrive at Planet Dirt very spread out. Even with the large dishes used to capture them they are extremely weak. This severely limits the bandwidth. Perhaps you would be interested to see experiments that shine lasers on the Moon. Even the most finely adjusted laser still arrives at the Moon as a much larger "spot". Remember the Moon is "only" 0.4 million km away.
Post 28 Apr 2017, 14:39
Furs

Yeah you're right I did a bit of research because I was curious. I was always under the impression that the reason lasers scatter (e.g. on the Moon as you said) was due to the atmosphere. I guess lasers aren't as "precise" as I thought.

This kind of sucks now, it is even impossible for us to contact some aliens directly without broadcasting to the entire neighborhood of solar systems, if there were any.
Post 28 Apr 2017, 15:53
ProphetOfDoom

I hope someone puts a human being (preferably a human settlement) on Mars before I die. I'd love to see that. I just gave up smoking about 6 months ago so that's probably somewhat increased the chances of this dream coming true.
Post 05 May 2017, 09:38
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
if we still alive by 2030 or 2040, most probably reverse aging pills will sell like hot cakes in major pharmacies on earth,

another 25 something years, i hope we could celebrate that moment in this thread then,
Post 06 May 2017, 01:23
YONG

ProphetOfDoom wrote:
I hope someone puts a human being (preferably a human settlement) on Mars before I die.

Venus may be a better option:

Should We Colonize Venus Instead of Mars?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5KV3rzuag

Wink
Post 06 May 2017, 02:02
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
if we still alive by 2030 or 2040, most probably reverse aging pills will sell like hot cakes in major pharmacies on earth,

another 25 something years, i hope we could celebrate that moment in this thread then,

Actually, it is 23 years or even less. Hope that I can make it!

Wink
Post 06 May 2017, 02:04

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: