flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > thought experiment : should move perpetually

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
not even sure who could live so long to witness this,

You could, given that you are constantly looking for ways to achieve immortality.

Wink
Post 01 May 2017, 07:00
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699

YONG wrote:
The field is static, from a short-term point of view.

is there a kind of spectacles that let you view those impressive 3D field like VR?

when the field attract and lifted my car keys to it, where does the energy come from?

when i shake the magnet while it is lifting my car keys, what kind of energy that is gluing the keys to magnets? and does the magnet keeps on supplying "energy" to grab the keys?

YONG wrote:
You could, given that you are constantly looking for ways to achieve immortality.

i want to travel and live on other planets, moon or mars or somewhere, thanks
Post 01 May 2017, 07:22
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:

YONG wrote:
The field is static, from a short-term point of view.

is there a kind of spectacles that let you view those impressive 3D field like VR?

A 2D version is good enough to illustrate the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8XNHlV6Qxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-M07N4a6-Y

Wink
Post 01 May 2017, 08:53
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
when the field attract and lifted my car keys to it, where does the energy come from?

If you actually want to understand the physics behind such a phenomenon, you need to learn the fundamental stuff.

Ignoring (i) air resistance, (ii) sound produced when the keys hit the magnet, and (iii) possible changes in internal energies due to deformation, the process in question simply involves converting one form of potential energy (due to the magnetic field) to another (due to gravity).

Consider the two types of potential energy (PE) that the keys possess:

Before: high magnetic PE but low gravitational PE
After: low magnetic PE but high gravitational PE

So, the keys lose magnetic PE but gain gravitational PE.

Wink
Post 01 May 2017, 09:11
Furs

sleepsleep, you somehow think that objects that move must use up energy constantly, but that is not true at all. The only reason something stops on Earth is due to factors such as friction (with the air, the ground, etc).

Theoretically, you could orbit around a planet (move in circular motion) permanently with no use of energy whatsoever except initially when you place it in orbit. That's because space is a vacuum. However space is not a perfect vacuum, so objects in orbit will eventually fall down, unless powered every so often. (most of the time they end up getting replaced so nobody cares if they come crashing down)

Moving, by itself, does not require energy. It's change in movement (well, momentum) that does. Momentum exists because of this very fact: objects in motion continue to remain in that motion unless energy is applied to them (force requires energy).

So the important question for your "perpetual" engine is the following: can you extract energy from it (i.e. make it move something else, like a piston or lever or whatever you want) while having it not stop?

If the answer is no, then your thing isn't perpetual at all, it's a simple object that stays in motion, which is basic 101 physics. Of course assuming you place it in a void container, otherwise it will stop due to air friction, lol.
Post 01 May 2017, 10:51
YONG

Furs wrote:
sleepsleep, ..., which is basic 101 physics.

Unfortunately, sleepsleep is not willing to learn the fundamental stuff; he just wants to keep using "idk" as an excuse. Sigh!

Wink
Post 01 May 2017, 12:36

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: