flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > 5 years of silence (yes, this is an introduction)

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
triplefault

5 years of silence (yes, this is an introduction)
Hello, 5 years ago I was interested in learning asm and OS development and after trying (and failing) to get NASM to work the way I wanted I decided to give FASM a try. I never looked back mostly because of the integrated text editor with syntax highlighting and that I don't need a linker to generate an executable.

If my username tells you something is that I failed many times at OS dev until I got something that at least booted. I haven't done anything in asm for the last ~3 years but I recently remembered my username and password and I decided to log in again. Even though I was not doing anything in asm I still occasionally came to the forum to read and see what's new.

I'm still very new to asm and have a lot to learn. I felt completely lost, as if I was in a new world, when I moved from the relatively easy to understand x86 asm on Windows to 64 bits asm on Linux.

If you have anything to teach me or any advice to give me feel free to do so. I try to be nice but English is not my native language so if I sound rude please let me know.

PS: the reason I haven't posted before (and the explanation for the title) is that I am generally very shy around new people.
Post 19 Apr 2017, 01:18
bitRAKE

I feel there are many forum users in a similar situation. ASM has a steep learning curve and OS development even more so! Even though there is a lot of content here and it's easy to deflect questions into the archive; it's nice to have exchanges along the path of discovery. If anything just for the little self-assurance that one is on the right path.
Post 19 Apr 2017, 11:56
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG

Re: 5 years of silence (yes, this is an introduction)

triplefault wrote:
5 years of silence

I hate to act like a naysayer. But I think you should have kept your silence. Now, your words can and will be used against you in the future threads!

Seriously, I advise you to watch out for a mod who always tries to trick other forum members into visiting his/her fake website. Stay alert!

Wink
Post 19 Apr 2017, 12:31
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
triplefault

bitRAKE: you are definitely right about that but I am sometimes stubborn and I had to bang my head against the wall to learn to realize it has a steep learning curve. I also like learning new things so that contributed to me wanting to give asm a try.

YONG: feel free to use my words against me Wink I think that falling is the only way I have to learn to get up. I wonder what forum mod that is.

You people are a nice community, thanks for the welcome.
Post 19 Apr 2017, 23:04
YONG

triplefault wrote:
I wonder what forum mod that is.

The top poster of this message board.

Wink
Post 20 Apr 2017, 02:24
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699

triplefault wrote:
If you have anything to teach me or any advice to give me feel free to do so.

i would like to know if you willing to share,

1. what os you are using right now? windows, linux, mac, bsd or some others os?

2. do you still programming own os? any reason to do so or not to do so?

i have lots of questions, but i save them for latter, want to learn from your journey, thank you
Post 20 Apr 2017, 21:36
triplefault

sleepsleep: I'm using Linux (64 bit multiarch so I can run 32 bit software too). I can also run some Windows software on Wine and that's how I run fasmw because I love the simplicity of that code editor.

I tried to learn asm a few months after I discovered programming and learned to program (that was 5 years ago), I had no experience with software development and that's why I failed at trying to make my own OS (even though I succeeded at making my own bootloader). The code is in my old desktop computer and I recently rediscovered it when I was searching for other files. If I were to try to program an OS again I'd start from scratch but first I would like to improve my limited knowledge of user-mode software development in asm.

Feel free to ask me any questions. [Edit] I just noticed you are cheating and your actual number of posts is 6313, it took me a while to realize it. Nice trick with the long location.
Post 21 Apr 2017, 03:15
Furs

I am similar, except 90% of the software I use is via Wine (yes on Linux). Mind you most are just simple utilities I just grew fond of. I don't particularly care that there are "native alternatives available", to me some people are just obsessed with bullshit like that. Rolling Eyes

If a software works fine under Wine it will be the version I download for 3 reasons:

1) It is more "universal": it can run under Linux and Windows (VMs or not) without needing multiple executables
2) I have more control over where it writes its settings (in the wineprefix or the virtual registry), Linux apps are hardcoded in home dir, bleh
3) I prefer the classic Windows theme than GTK or QT or other "styles" (in dialogs and so on)
Post 21 Apr 2017, 10:51

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: