flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Feedback > Concerning this board's health

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
rugxulo

Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
Some time ago I have seen a game where you play with an assembly-like language. I thought it was a neat idea.

Although I've never tried it, you mean like Core Wars?

Core Wars wrote:

... these programs are are written in an assembly language called Redcode.

In similarly untested software, I also stumbled upon P-Robots recently, but that's apparently a Pascal subset. (In recent years I've become a fan of Wirth-ian languages, which are obviously HLLs but can still allow for cooperation with raw assembly. I have to admit that the barrier to entry for HLLs, and error-prone nature, is much lower than for x86 asm.)
Post 28 Mar 2017, 23:59
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rugxulo

Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
If you look only at the discussions on technical and assembly-related topics, then yes, the board is slowly but steadily dying.

Assembly is not popular for most developers, who clearly prefer HLLs and a bazillion third-party libs. Although even Windows and Linux have enough overall users that some of them still write assembly (even if I think too much attention is paid to SSE and, much worse, AVX, ugh). For instance, one of the more obvious assembly-targeted platforms is DOS (my fav), but clearly I'm one of the only ones left. Embarassed

Quote:

I think I managed to bring a tiny little bit of new life here with my fasmg project, but it was not enough, apparently.

FASMG is not for noobs like me. I'm not a compiler writer (yet??). In fact, I think it's genius, but (while you may disagree) I think one almost has to be a genius to use it! Razz

In another post recently (I think??) you wondered what would be a good target architecture. Honestly, I have no clue, I'm not savvy enough to pretend. Okay, I'll pretend anyways! Laughing Wirth's RISC? RISC-V? OpenRISC? Knuth's MMIX? Albeit fascinating, it's just too much to handle (for me). So instead I just keep plugging away at tiny DOS utils, heheh, not a waste of time at all. Rolling Eyes
Post 29 Mar 2017, 00:12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

rugxulo wrote:

Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
Some time ago I have seen a game where you play with an assembly-like language. I thought it was a neat idea.

Although I've never tried it, you mean like Core Wars?

No, it is more of a game that slowly teaches you an assembly-like language by introducing new instructions alongside harder and harder riddles. Also you get additional challenges to optimize the same snippet either for size or speed (measured as number of cycles). This is a great educational method, I think a game like that could be used to teach some actual assembly in a transparent and fun way.

However, as you mentioned Core Wars, it reminded me of an old thread where I talked about it. I really regret that I have never made that multi-threaded version of Challenger. Perhaps one day I will still manage to do it, years later - just like it was with fasmg engine.
Post 29 Mar 2017, 07:14
Furs

Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
Speaking of platform, this board's software is also really outdated. And I'm not even sure if migration to a new version of phpBB at this point would be possible at all, this board had some specific modifications that could get in the way.

Well, at least it's simple and to the point, also very lightweight. Please if you ever upgrade it, don't do change for the sake of change and bring bloat along with it like so many other forums. If you can just keep the upgrades "under the hood" only since I'm sure I'm not the only one liking simple sites like this Wink (especially revolution since he doesn't even have JS Razz)
Post 11 Apr 2017, 11:19
YONG

Furs wrote:
... I'm sure I'm not the only one liking simple sites like this Wink (especially revolution since he doesn't even have JS Razz)

I like simple sites, too -- no JS, no Flash, no Java, just "pure" HTML.

revolution is going to point out your "mistakes" -- he or she even disables JS.

Wink
Post 12 Apr 2017, 04:57

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: