flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > World Backup Day

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
YONG

World Backup Day
Tomorrow, March 31st, is World Backup Day.

Remember to backup your files, at least once a year. Laughing

Refer to:
http://www.worldbackupday.com/en/

Wink
Post 30 Mar 2017, 10:01
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

As a funny coincidence today I had a symbolic dream concerning backups. I dreamed that on a dusty shelf high under the ceiling I found my old notebook* which was used for fasm's development. But when I held it in my hand I realized that it is actually a stack of three identical notebooks. I thought then: "Oh, right, these are my backup copies. I should compare them to see which is the latest one." Smile
___
* If you don't know this, the reason why source of fasm 1 contains so many hardcoded structure offsets but not a single comment explaining them is that from the beginning I had this notebook where I put tables describing all the fields of the structures. It was more handy for me to develop fasm this way, though keeping the notebook to myself made it harder for others to understand fasm's code. I planned to digitize this information in my guide to fasm's internals but I never finished it. Nevertheless, all the tables got finally included in the documentation of fas format.
Post 30 Mar 2017, 10:57
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG

Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
As a funny coincidence today I had a symbolic dream concerning backups. I dreamed that on a dusty shelf high under the ceiling I found my old notebook* which was used for fasm's development. But when I held it in my hand I realized that it is actually a stack of three identical notebooks. I thought then: "Oh, right, these are my backup copies. I should compare them to see which is the latest one." Smile

Well, your "notebook" is actually a notepad/logbook. Nowadays, by notebook, people usually refer to a laptop computer!

Wink
Post 30 Mar 2017, 11:06
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

YONG wrote:
Well, your "notebook" is actually a notepad/logbook. Nowadays, by notebook, people usually refer to a laptop computer!

Perhaps the meanings are shifting, but I think there used to be a difference in form between a notebook and notepad.
Post 30 Mar 2017, 11:32
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

Backups are for losers. Learn to live dangerously. Learn to trust your computer implicitly with all of you hard work. Your computer will never fail, ever. And you will never accidentally type the wrong command or click the wrong button. Your HDDs and SSDs will never die. Trust me, everything will be fine. Don't worry about it. Razz

And if in the impossible case that you ever do lose anything, just ask the NSA, they will have a copy.
Post 30 Mar 2017, 11:45
YONG

Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
... but I think there used to be a difference in form between a notebook and notepad.

Well, the linked thread was created in 2011, almost six years ago. Could you please find something more recent to back up your claim?

Wink
Post 30 Mar 2017, 12:21
YONG

revolution wrote:
Backups are for losers.

Sad but true. Being a loser, I back up my files regularly. Sad

Wink
Post 30 Mar 2017, 12:23
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

YONG wrote:
Well, the linked thread was created in 2011, almost six years ago. Could you please find something more recent to back up your claim?

Wink

Why should I? I'm not going to hide that I'm from a an older generation. Wink
Post 30 Mar 2017, 12:25
YONG

Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
Why should I? I'm not going to hide that I'm from an older generation. Wink

It is not about your age. It is about the usefulness & relevance of the information in the linked thread. As you mentioned, the meanings of those words keep changing over time. To back up your claim, you need to have something very recent, not 6 years ago!

Wink
Post 30 Mar 2017, 12:35
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

YONG wrote:
It is not about your age. It is about the usefulness & relevance of the information in the linked thread. As you mentioned, the meanings of those words keep changing over time. To back up your claim, you need to have something very recent, not 6 years ago!

The language one uses can provide an additional layer of information on top of the actual content. It can tell you something about someone's background or even character and it can give additional hints for the context in which the statement should be interpreted. And I highly value the richness of dialects in our languages. This includes not looking down at the constant evolution of language, but I also do not easily throw away the older variants when they still can be understood (sometimes, like in this case, with help of a context). And if you know only one meaning of a word, you may even find it thrilling to get to know another one. Wink Like I often do.
Post 30 Mar 2017, 13:08
YONG

Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
This includes not looking down at the constant evolution of language, but I also do not easily throw away the older variants when they still can be understood (sometimes, like in this case, with help of a context).

Yeah, I know. It is all about honoring the tradition, remembering the ancestors, ... You need not go there again!

Wink
Post 30 Mar 2017, 13:14
revolution

YONG wrote:
Being a loser, I back up my files regularly.

Yeah, me also. Twice a day at least. Crying or Very sad
Post 30 Mar 2017, 13:37
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Oh, and when you do a backup, store it in a different place (at least an external drive) from where the original is. This is the lesson I took when I lost the sources of my toy OS back in 1999. Wink I was left with only an old copy on a floppy disk, because my sources were lost together with backups when I accidentally rewrote the entire header section of the hard drive where both resided.
Post 30 Mar 2017, 13:48
revolution

Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
Oh, and when you do a backup, store it in a different place (at least an external drive) from where the original is.

It's not backed-up until it is in at least three places. Well that's my motto anyway. Also, verify that you can successfully read the backups, it's no help if they are all corrupted.
Post 30 Mar 2017, 13:58
Furs

I store 1 backup on external HDD which I power about once per month or two months, depending when I do the backup, which depends how much data was accumulated.

I do daily small backups (i.e. what I've done new) to the cloud (Google Drive).

I have some small amount of backup on a SSD I use, because well it's a SSD only 128GB and I prefer to use it for things that need to load fast or not torture my HDD. (which includes some of my backups mind you, such as custom built GCC compiler, etc)

Even so, I still felt so vulnerable when a mistake deleted all my recent non-read-only files. Thankfully I keep SHA1 check of most important files, so I knew which ones were corrupted or deleted after doing verification. But it scared me even if I restored them.

No matter how many backups I have, I'll always expect the worst. What if my external HDD breaks when I copy the backups back? I even placed some 100GB worth of data on DVDs which took ages. Which I find much more safe because it's read-only so not even a hidden virus can destroy it.

Unfortunately even optical discs rot and M-DISC are too expensive for me (since I'll need a Blu-Ray writer that writes them, and they are so damn rare around here, meh).

Basically, no matter what, I'm sick of stuff that doesn't hold for at least 100 years, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. (figuratively speaking, I'm from a poor country, so it's hard here)
Post 30 Mar 2017, 14:40
YONG

revolution wrote:

Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
Oh, and when you do a backup, store it in a different place (at least an external drive) from where the original is.

It's not backed-up until it is in at least three places. Well that's my motto anyway.

That's my motto, too. Besides, at least one of the backups must be off-site.

Wink
Post 31 Mar 2017, 02:24

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: