flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Feedback > 1000+ users de-registered?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Trinitek

I don't think I'd appreciate having "FLAT ASSEMBLER" visually screamed at me every time I log in here.
Post 19 Mar 2017, 02:56
zhak

No, no, no. To me, for example, flat assembler all lower case is like a trademark. Making it all caps or even capitalizing first letters will look shitty
Post 19 Mar 2017, 08:01
YONG

T.G. likes the lower-case f very much. He is not going to change anything.

Wink
Post 19 Mar 2017, 08:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

zhak wrote:
No, no, no. To me, for example, flat assembler all lower case is like a trademark. Making it all caps or even capitalizing first letters will look shitty

Yes, I use the lower-case variant as a kind of "trademark".

The reason for this tradition may not be well-known: the early versions of fasm were completely case-sensitive. All the keywords were lowercase, the uppercase letters could only be used as hex digits (and, again, it was case-sensitive, so hex numbers HAD to be uppercase). This allowed for hex numbers without an initial "0", because it was not ambiguous: "ah" was a register name while "Ah" was a number (and "AH" could be defined as a label). Later I decided that this was too eccentric and not very practical, so I got rid of this idea. But the overall stylistic of the assembler remained the same - everything that was not a hex number was lowercase. This included the name of assembler and all the messages that it displayed. And it stayed this way. Though you may notice that fasmg no longer follows this tradition strictly - it starts its messages with a capital letter.
Post 19 Mar 2017, 09:24
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
system error

tom, lower-cased "flat assembler" is visually competing with other texts. Not strong enough to make a front page statement. Give it a week trial and see how it goes.
Post 21 Mar 2017, 06:13
YONG

system error wrote:
lower-cased "flat assembler" is visually competing with other texts.

It is never about visual design. It is all about honoring the tradition, remembering the reminiscence of the ancestor, and maintaining a sense of continuity.

Wink

Last edited by YONG on 21 Mar 2017, 12:15; edited 1 time in total
Post 21 Mar 2017, 07:05
system error

YONG wrote:

system error wrote:
lower-cased "flat assembler" is visually competing with other texts.

It is never about visual design. It is all about honoring the tradition, remembering the reminiscent of the ancestor, and maintaining a sense of continuity.

Wink

Upper-case is just as traditional as lower-case characters. MOV and mov are the same thing in case-insensitive languages like FASM and BASIC. So upper-casing is just as traditional as lower-casing.
Post 21 Mar 2017, 08:05
Furs

Sorry but no, I despise STUFF IN ALL CAPS it looks ugly and stupid, unless it's an acronym.
Post 23 Mar 2017, 12:22
neville

Clearly a troll ,if not a terrorist, and another candidate suitable for de-registration Cool

Post 26 Mar 2017, 19:03

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: