flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > .NET is open source

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
nyrtzi

revolution wrote:
Wake me when .NET has gotten rid of the memory hogging bloat and the awful GC concept.

Will they ever? If they calculate that people still feel more productive and that they get more things done even with all the bloat and GC latency.
Post 22 Dec 2014, 10:43
TmX

Re: .NET is open source

nyrtzi wrote:

Any info on if the legal issues with Mono have been resolved yet?

Like this?
http://www.mono-project.com/docs/about-mono/concerns-about-mono/

I think it can be safely assumed that Mono is legal.
Post 22 Dec 2014, 12:03
nyrtzi

TmX wrote:
I think it can be safely assumed that Mono is legal.

Or at least that using it is safe in the sense that most likely m$ won't come after you and even if they did they might have major problems in making any claim stick.

Then again is using Java safer in every sense? Wasn't Oracle just recently trying to patent specific interfaces something with their version of Java? And what have the Google vs others squabbles about JVM technology been about? Do the .NET technologies suffer from anything like this?
Post 22 Dec 2014, 15:14
OzzY

Yes, managed code is slower than native code.

But the IT market is actually worried about programmer productivity so it can gain more money.

.NET framework with VS IDE is very productive for the typical commercial database applications.

And in the end that's what matters. Money controls the world.
Post 22 Dec 2014, 15:23
TmX

nyrtzi wrote:

Then again is using Java safer in every sense? Wasn't Oracle just recently trying to patent specific interfaces something with their version of Java?

I'm not sure about this specific interfaces thing. But anyway:
1. The standard JDK by Sun/Oracle has been open sourced for years
2. You can use other Java implementations, like the one from IBM, Azul Systems or Apache Harmony (sadly discontinued), for example, if you don't wish to use Oracle's.
3. Java is not the sole product of Oracle.
Take a look at JCP members and you'll see big names like Intel, Samsung, ARM, IBM etc are also involved.

Given those 3 points, in general sense I'm pretty sure I'll be safer using Java.
Of course, Oracle is the IP owner and and if they wish to kill Java... who can go against them? :p

nyrtzi wrote:

And what have the Google vs others squabbles about JVM technology been about?

I think Oracle sued Google because of Dalvik, their own implementation of Java.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2617301/cringely/welcome-to-the-google-oracle-patent-circus.html

Not really sure why Googled picked Java to be used in Android. They have lots of brilliant engineers and
I won't be surprised if somewhen in the future they decide to switch to C++ or Go :p

nyrtzi wrote:

Do the .NET technologies suffer from anything like this?

Not yet, I guess.
Post 22 Dec 2014, 17:39
ManOfSteel

nyrtzi wrote:

typedef wrote:
Let's put more pressure on Microsoft until their flagship product becomes open source as well.

Under which license?

A 2-clause BSD license, of course! Twisted Evil
Post 22 Dec 2014, 20:19
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/archive/2015/09/03/msbuild-is-going-cross-platform-with-net-core.aspx

Quote:
The .NET Compiler Platform (“Roslyn”) has been open source for a while now, Microsoft is taking .NET open source and cross-platform, and the ASP.NET 5 Runtime is open source and cross-platform as well. And as of March, MSBuild is open source on GitHub and part of the .NET Foundation,

maybe .net will conquer every OS in future.
Post 03 Sep 2015, 18:15
TheRaven

revolution wrote:
Wake me when .NET has gotten rid of the memory hogging bloat and the awful GC concept.

Managed code is a failure. All it manages to do is use more and more memory because the programmers become lazy and think that the GC will fix everything.

Q: "Why is my program freezing and stuttering?"
A: "Because the GC is freeing up forgotten objects"
Q: "Why is my 16G RAM always used up by only a few programs?"
A: "Because of all the spare forgotten objects that haven't yet been GCed, and often are never GCed"
Q: "Why do programmers write such poor code?"
A: "Because managed code pretends to clean up after them, but it doesn't actually, it just makes everything run slower and more RAM hungry"
Q: "Why does my program take forever to start up?"
A: "Because the .NET system is trying to optimising it to run faster"
Q: "Then why doesn't it actually run faster?"
A: "Because the .NET system is such a big overhead that it can't ever be faster"
Q: "Why don't people just compile natively?"
A: "Because .NET makes it hard to do that and people are lazy to fight it"
Q: "What is the difference between .NET and JAVA?"
A: "Not much it would seem, except that MS is behind .NET and managed to make it with more bloat"

Razz

Sums up game developers currently as well.
Bloated, slop ass code was foreseen, predicted to occur and has infallibly f'd us all in one manner or another; agreed that managed code has bred lazy programmers cause they are not developing shit but a bad rep.

Never the less, .Net going open is rather intriguing provided that I may utilize WPF cross platform else could not really care too much.

Post 20 Oct 2016, 05:34
Trinitek

It's been interesting watching the .NET Core stuff unravel as I've been working on my desktop database app for the past few months. So, we've got... .NET Framework, which is Windows only, Mono, which is a hacky cross platform implementation, and the new .NET Core, which is cross platform out of the box.

Now that the new Entity Framework 7 ("EF Core") and its docs are in a usable state, I've upgraded my app from using EF6, which didn't support database migrations for SQLite. This is a major plus for me. Thankfully, even though it's branded "Core," it can run on the full .NET Framework stack.

The unfortunate side of things came when I decided to build the website and supporting web API using ASP.NET Core, which requires the new Core framework. The Core framework is missing so many obviously necessary features it's laughable. There's no built-in support for sending mail, and the encryption namespace seemed to be completely void of everything but some base abstract classes for SHA256 and the like.
Post 02 Jan 2017, 07:03

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: