flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Feedback > I am suggesting Microprocessor Section

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
fasmnewbie

I am suggesting Microprocessor Section
What do you think? I mean this is assembly forum by the way and the most important section of them all is the machine/CPU/processor. Forum like this should have a dedicated section and discussion board on microprocessors and its relation to assembly language. This goes very well with most college's System Architecture / Organization course.

You know things like what is a Branch Prediction, Cache misses, multi core, multi threading, performance, pipelining should have its own special section in any assembly forum like this, discussing how assembly programmers can take advantage / avoid technical problems from those features.

Just a suggestion.
Post 18 May 2014, 05:47
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
fasmnewbie

I mean we are programming the machines, but we don't have a specific dedicated section on the very machines we are programming? That's weird.
Post 18 May 2014, 05:53
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
fasmnewbie

You know people / newbies like myself can gain a technical insights on things like DMA, serial / parallel port, fetch-execute, FPU, FSB ... things like that,, and how they are related to assembly programming, codes and practice. Maybe under Hardware, Microprocessor, Architecture etc... I don't know. But I think we should have one that offers different discussions than OS Construction.
Post 18 May 2014, 06:08
fasmnewbie

Branch Prediction

Code:
In computer architecturea branch predictor is a digital circuit that tries to guess which way a branch (e.g. an if-then-else structurewill go before this is known for sure. The purpose of the branch predictor is to improve the flow in the instruction pipeline. Branch predictors play a critical role in achieving high effective performance in many modern pipelined microprocessor architectures such as x86.

Two-way branching is usually implemented with a conditional jump instruction. A conditional jump can either be "not taken" and continue execution with the first branch of code which follows immediately after the conditional jump - or it can be "taken" and jump to a different place in program memory where the second branch of code is stored.

Now this is the kind of thing I am talking about. I believe many entry-level programmers may not be aware how bad our loop is in terms of performance and clock cycles. And experts on this board can offer invaluable advises on branch prediction to newbies on how to improve our code's performance.
Post 18 May 2014, 06:16
fasmnewbie

Another thing is like Context Switching. I know people can read it from the internet. But how it is related to my code? Is it a bad thing or a good thing? Which part of my code is related to this green monster called Context Switching? If it is bad, how can I spot it and reduce it? If it is good, how can I jump to it right after "format PE"?
Post 18 May 2014, 06:29
zhak

Good suggestion IMO
Post 18 May 2014, 07:29

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: