flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > Windows VISTA sucks

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
typedef

Windows VISTA sucks
I have VISTA and everyday I get disappointed by it.

When I try to use the following APIs,

Code:

URLDownloadToFile

URLDownloadToCacheFile

They return this message, Not enough storage is available to complete this operation

I don't know if it has to do with permission or (memory?) but the same code works on XP.

So yeah, aside from not being able to run HALO CE [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo:_Combat_Evolved ] without lag, it really sucks.

I got 2GB RAM and 250 GB HDD but it lags. When I play the same game on XP[ 512 MB RAM, 30 GB HDD] runs smoothly.

Up your a$$ M$.

Is Windows 7 Ultimate any better than this crap ? (Anyone that uses it)

Post 20 Feb 2012, 06:58
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
malpolud

Dude, you are still using Vista? Switch to "7" immediately.

Or rather xp : )
Post 20 Feb 2012, 07:16
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
typedef

malpolud wrote:
Dude, you are still using Vista? Switch to "7" immediately.

Or rather xp : )

You are right... I shall make the switch soon.

XP is what I could go for... easy.. but too much botnets. But I guess everything has a price

So do you have a pirated copy of either one ? Very Happy

Post 20 Feb 2012, 07:27
malpolud

typedef wrote:

So do you have a pirated copy of either one ? Very Happy

No way! ; )

Well actually I prefer Linux/Unix, but my current projects require use of M$ OS.

E: try "7", its waaay better than vista, it uses much more disk-space than XP, but runs faster and more stable.
Post 20 Feb 2012, 07:34
typedef

Ok, I'll look for an ISO on Piratebay then.

I just fixed that error by the way, but VISTA still sucks.
Post 20 Feb 2012, 07:55
Coty

2GB of ram isn't enough for playing games on vista or windows 7 (they will but it will be more laggy then on win XP), they are memory hogs and like to use 1+ GB for them selves, while as XP runs fine on 128MB...

I use windows 7 home premium on my laptop dauled with linux mint. While it is better than vista (more stable anyway) it is still a hog. I would guess because allot of computers now come with 4-8GB of RAM so M$ doesn't care how much memory they waste.

The only real problem with vista was it had major compatibility isues with drivers, but on some machines (if you had the right machine) it ran great with.

Post 20 Feb 2012, 14:48
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
typedef

System Idle Process.CPU = 95 %

Shocked
Post 20 Feb 2012, 15:28
Coty

Simple silution:

1) Install menuet OS
2) write drivers for it for your PC
3) have fun using a few MB of memory and less then 1% of CPU at idle.
4) hack valve and steal source code to they're games
5) port them to menuet

Very Happy

Post 20 Feb 2012, 15:46
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
typedef

Coty wrote:
Simple silution:
4) hack valve and steal source code to they're games
Very Happy

They still use a vulnerable un-patched vBulletin version. But I have nothing against them.

Post 20 Feb 2012, 16:17
Coty

^ Neither did the German kid that stole and leaked Half Life 2's source code back in 2003 Very Happy

Post 20 Feb 2012, 17:14
typedef

SO what are you saying? :/
Post 20 Feb 2012, 18:31
typedef

By the way, my bot can now reply to posts and make attachments.

Cool huh, I'll try to spam a random phpBB forum Very Happy

Post 20 Feb 2012, 18:33
sleepsleep

vista is actually quite fast after a tune, even faster than window 7 after same tune.
Post 20 Feb 2012, 19:00
Coty

A 2000 ford focus is fast after a tune, even faster than a 2005 ford focus with the same tune. The same can be said vice versa. This is because they have different engines. Although they are similar to an extent, you cannot expect them to act the same way with the same modifaction.

Even if you can make vista faster, is it as stable as windows 7? No, stability is one of the things vista has none of.

Post 20 Feb 2012, 19:27
sleepsleep

maybe you could try to define what is stable in your perception?
Post 20 Feb 2012, 20:03
Coty

On my old laptop, windows vista was the bigest pain ever, driver issues everywere! I can remember a really big one was with the audio when playing music, adjusting volume would sometimes make the driver unresponsive, sometimes even locking up windows explorer, to get it to come back up I had to restart explorer (CTRL + ESC or something like that) But sometimes that might even just invoke a BSOD. Years latter when I upgraded to windows 7, the same driver worked fine.

On my dads computer, I saw quite a few BSOD from it, even though all it did was run firefox for a large amount of its life, maybe some games, BSODs never accord with it on XP or 7. Often I'd know because I would notice an allert open saying windows encounterd an error or something like that (the same one you see after a BSOD and the kernel creates a dump)

My grandparents computer, its an all in one SONY I think, It runs vista, and I've seen it BSOD from closing a window.

Then I hear many other people saying the same thing about, maybe people in my area just have bad luck.

Post 20 Feb 2012, 21:09
adroit

i think 7 is faster, and less buggy than vista. vista's security was out of control! and thought i'd say that xp would be the best os they've made but 7 is amazing too [imho].

but i don't think 7 manages its memory properly. when I first installed 7 (upgrading from xp) i only had 512MB (2*256MB), when i ran too many software, such as blender (which uses a lot of memory), the video driver would crash.
Post 23 Feb 2012, 00:47
Coty

^ Yeah, that is because it is because it "requires" 1GB of RAM, it will run on 256MB though, I've done it on an old HP with a celeron. It didn't run to bad after you waited 11 minuets for it to come up, and if you didn't mind only being able to do really small tasks and try not to multitask to much...

Post 23 Feb 2012, 01:46
typedef

Post 23 Feb 2012, 06:01
Coty

Nah, windows 7 is great if you have the over powered hardware for it. (2.0 Ghz and 2+ GB of RAM)... Nothing should need close to that much to run good, but even most linux distros are getting power hungry today to... In fact windows 7 is even faster than linux, but then again linux is a bunch of bloat due to it's ability to run on about any arcutecture... Even Linus Torvalds agrees linux is becoming bloated and needs to be re-written.

Linux was meant to be ran on IBM based i386 computers, not everything under the sun... witch is a big reason for all of it's bloat.

Post 23 Feb 2012, 15:52

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: